How to add page numbers below page header?
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:49
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2009

I need to format a translation in the style of the source document. Probably it was formatted manually by writing at the head of the page

- 1 -
- 2 -

Is it possible to get such a numbering automatically in Word 2003?
When I add page numbering, the numbers are in the header, but they should below it.

Probably I have to do it manually too?

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Sabine Akabayov, PhD
Israel
Local time: 14:49
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Page number in the header Jul 23, 2009

If you want the page number added to all pages automatically, you have to add it in the header. If you don't like the position on the page you could change the margins of the header (page layout->margins>custom margins->layout) or format the header adding empty lines, space before the line with the page number (just double click the header to be able to format it, sorry, if that's too basic). If that doesn't work well for you, you can add page numbers "at current position". However, you will have to do that for each page separately.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 13:49
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Field Jul 23, 2009

Go Insert, Field, select "Page" in "Field Names". In my version of Word, "your" format. - n -. is the second from the top.

HTH
Antonin

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:49
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Page No. and Footer Jul 23, 2009

In my version of Word, which is Word 2000, The procedure is:
Insert > Page Numbers > Position: select "Bottom of page"; Alignment: Select "Center".
This produces a plain numeral.
If you specifically want the "- 1 -" form as in your original, you can go into the Footer (View > Header & Footer > switch to "Footer") and add the hyphen and space either side of the numeral.

[Edited at 2009-07-23 22:05 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add page numbers below page header?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search