Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:28
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sep 12, 2003

Last couple of weeks I translated a file. Just after I finished the translation I cann't open it anymore.

The next information might be of interest:
* I use MO 2000 Premium and Trados 6.0
* The language pair (Swedish-Dutch) didn't exist in my Trados settings and I didn't know how to install it, so I tried to translate the document under the language pair German-Dutch. After some pages Trados crashed and a newly created memory wouldn't do the job, so I cleaned the docume
... See more
Last couple of weeks I translated a file. Just after I finished the translation I cann't open it anymore.

The next information might be of interest:
* I use MO 2000 Premium and Trados 6.0
* The language pair (Swedish-Dutch) didn't exist in my Trados settings and I didn't know how to install it, so I tried to translate the document under the language pair German-Dutch. After some pages Trados crashed and a newly created memory wouldn't do the job, so I cleaned the document using Alt + F8, tw4winClean.Main and translated the document without a CAT tool.
* The document had a strange "mood": when you tried to change anything in the layout (for instance making a selected piece of text bold), the whole document changed. After one Ctrl + Z you got the desired result, after two times hitting Ctrl + Z all changes were undone.

Anyhow, at this moment neither I nor my client can open the file and I cann't find a .tmp or .doc file on my harddisk being a somewhat older version of the file.
Since I use to work with Trados, I didn't make a backup file (In Trados I every day create an export file of the TM).

When I try to open the file from Word, I get the next message (at least I think it sounds somewhat like this, I use the Dutch version):
XXX is protected against editing by "other user".
Click on "Warn" if you want to open a copy of the read only document and get a message if the other user doesn't use the document any longer.

After clicking on either "Read only" or "Warn" I get that lovely warning box with a white cross in a red circle: This programm has conducted an invalid operation and wil close
Clicking on "Close" results in the closing of Word

When I try to open the file by dubbel clicking on it in the Explorer, Word opens with the next box:
The document name or document path is invalid. Try the next:
* Check the file authorization for the document or the station (shouldn't know what thay mean with that)
* Search the document using the dialog "Open file" (I guess they mean the dialog "Open" that you get when clicking Ctrl + O in Word)

I'm afraid this file is nothing else than corrupt, and that I have to start translating again.
Or is there anyone out there who knows a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:28
English to German
+ ...
Wordpad or Notepad ? Sep 12, 2003

You could try to open a corrupt file with Wordpad, Notpad or any other text editor.
Using search and replace it might be possible to retrieve the essential contents.
Good luck!

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 21:28
Dutch to English
+ ...
It sounds like the document is protected Sep 12, 2003

Have you "unprotected" it (under Tools)?
Usually you don't get any message, you just can't make any changes in the document and you're left to figure out for yourself why that is.

If it's not protected, can you block the entire document and cut and paste it into a new file?

Carolyn Denoncourt
Carolyn Denoncourt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:28
French to English
+ ...
Try this Knowledge Base in Microsoft Sep 12, 2003

Henk,

Microsoft's Knowledge Base has a explanation of things to try that have often helped me. Here is the direct link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q87/8/56.ASP&NoWebContent=1

If the link does not work, go to
... See more
Henk,

Microsoft's Knowledge Base has a explanation of things to try that have often helped me. Here is the direct link:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/Q87/8/56.ASP&NoWebContent=1

If the link does not work, go to www.microsoft.com and then to Support and then to Knowledge Base. The article number is 87856. If you get there, scroll down to the part about When A Document Will Not Open.

Good luck,
Carolyn Denoncourt
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Try "Recreate document from scratch" Sep 12, 2003

I use german Word, it is called "Text aus beliebeiger Datei wiederherstellen". You can choose this option in the open file dialogue box, where the file types are listed. With this option you should at least be able to get the content of the file, but all formating will be lost.

Regarding this strange formatting behaviour check if the styles are not allowed to adapt automatically when changed, ie. uncheck this option box (in German: Formatvorlage - automatisch aktualisieren). This op
... See more
I use german Word, it is called "Text aus beliebeiger Datei wiederherstellen". You can choose this option in the open file dialogue box, where the file types are listed. With this option you should at least be able to get the content of the file, but all formating will be lost.

Regarding this strange formatting behaviour check if the styles are not allowed to adapt automatically when changed, ie. uncheck this option box (in German: Formatvorlage - automatisch aktualisieren). This option can mean death of any trnaslation, as if you manually change a formatting of a text, the changes apply for the particular style in the whole document.

You can contact me via my profile and send me the file, perhaps will Word XP and some tricks be able to open it.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
some result Sep 12, 2003

indeed, Word- and Notepad give some result. The "recreate document form scratch" methode doesn't, unfortunately, but results in the crashing of Word. Protected? I cann't open the file, but what option under "Tools" gives information about protection? I know from the Explorer (select file, right mouse button, Properties) that it is not read only.

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Just an idea Sep 13, 2003

"When I try to open the file from Word, I get the next message (at least I think it sounds somewhat like this, I use the Dutch version):
Click on "Warn" if you want to open a copy of the read only document and get a message if the other user doesn't use the document any longer."

I get that message when, after a crashing of Word, I launch Word again. The reason is that there is still one (or more if you made more crashes)
... See more
"When I try to open the file from Word, I get the next message (at least I think it sounds somewhat like this, I use the Dutch version):
Click on "Warn" if you want to open a copy of the read only document and get a message if the other user doesn't use the document any longer."

I get that message when, after a crashing of Word, I launch Word again. The reason is that there is still one (or more if you made more crashes) sessions of Word open. To verify that, make CTR+ALT+DEL and in the "rolling list", you must close Word. Then only after launch Word again (verify before Word is really closed in that list).

Just an idea, perhaps you know it or it has nothing to do with your case.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Rename your normal.dot and try again Sep 13, 2003

It is just another possibility, but it happens quite often, that the normal.dot gets corrupted and causes a lot of problems. To check this, rename normal.dot to normal.old or so and open Word again. Surely all you previos settings are now lost, but Word is "clean". It could work - this saved me sometimes.

Kind regards
Jerzy

Richard Lawson
Richard Lawson
Norwegian to English
Try PFE Sep 14, 2003

Try opening it in PFE, probably the best text editor ever. Remove the Word header, then open the file in Word as an ANSI text. Format and save as a Word file.

PFE is no longer being developed, but is still available from:
http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=11983

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
you can get the file if you want Sep 15, 2003

You can contact me via my profile and send me the file, perhaps will Word XP and some tricks be able to open it.

Thanks for your readiness to help. I first contacted my client to be secure he'll be OK if I send the the file to a colleague. Well, he is OK, but in the meantime I started "translating" the source document again by copying / pasting the content of the Wordpad version in it. An elaborate, but safe way. I hope to finish it within some hours, so there's no real need to try new things.

However, if you should like to get the corrupted file for your own "research", let me know and I'll send it to you.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No thanks Sep 15, 2003

Henk Peelen wrote:
However, if you should like to get the corrupted file for your own "research", let me know and I'll send it to you.

Thank you, but I think I better refrain from such "research". It happens often enough that we get problems with files, data and PC, so I don´t want to lock the wolf from the forrest (or at least I would say so in Polish).

I hope you can restore your translation quickly.

Perhaps one idea more:
If you were able to open your translated file in Wordpad, so you perhaps lost any formatting, but the text ist there. So you could create a new, unformatted document from your untranslated document, and then save both translated and untranslated version and align them with Trados. Maybe it could save your time...

Kind regards
Jerzy

Henk Peelen
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
problem solved Sep 17, 2003

Thank you, but I think I better refrain from such "research". It happens often enough that we get problems with files, data and PC, so I don´t want to lock the wolf from the forrest (or at least I would say so in Polish).
End quote

It might be a Polish quality to repair corrupted files: a fellow-countrywoman managed to recover the file for a great part, including the footnotes.

Indeed, the less proplematic files, the better.
Dutch has a smiliar
... See more
End quote

It might be a Polish quality to repair corrupted files: a fellow-countrywoman managed to recover the file for a great part, including the footnotes.

Indeed, the less proplematic files, the better.
Dutch has a smiliar proverb, beit with an even worser meaning:
de wolf in de schaapskooi opsluiten = set the fox to the geese

Thanks everybody for your help. The client is very much satisfied with the result.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't open a Word file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »