Thread poster: Aditi Kane

Aditi Kane  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:31
Japanese to English
+ ...
Aug 10, 2009

Hello,

I have a MS Word file in Japanese. When I open the file, I see tracked changes marked with red color and text in Japanese.

The author has explicitly mentioned following information in those tracked changes.

the inserted text with underline and arrow and red color.
date and time of insertion
Name of author

I want to translate the inserted text from Japanese to English.

When I try to translate the text, the formatting of the red color and arrow is not maintained.

Is there any method to translate the inserted text in tracked changes and maintain the formatting?

thanks,
Aditi Kane

Jiantao Lu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:31
English to Chinese
I don't think it possible. Aug 10, 2009

Those formats are for "tracking" purpose. Since you are following the revised text, then it's not necessary or possible to keep the formats.
I suggest you just "accept all the revisions" first and then translate.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Change your track changes options Aug 10, 2009

I don't know whether I understood you well but if I did and you want to translate the inserted text and make it appear as changes, have the track changes options on. If you want the changes to be in red, you need to change your options (Tools, Options, Track Changes tab, and change the color option so the changes you make display in the color you wish, in this case red).

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:31
French to English
+ ...
Yes, Luisa's suggestion could be a workaround solution Aug 18, 2009

You can change your own editing parameters so that they mimic the originals, and then make the same changes in the same places in the document (deleting, or rather, rejecting the old ones as you go, of course)

The date and time are trickier; I should have thought only the date was really important, you could cheat that one by changing the date on your computer to match that of the original changes.

It seems an awful lot of trouble to have to go to!

Alternatively, if just the information is required, but not the actual change info, might it be possible to simply create text styles you can apply to the text to mimic the 'track changes' styles, and add the rest of the info as simple comments in the margin; this would produce more or less the same result, but without of course the possibility of accepting or rejecting the changes, since they have now become embedded as part of the text.

Aditi Kane  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 20, 2009

Hello all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

As Jiantao suggested, I accepted all the changes and proceeded with the translation.

Now I haven't got any formatting problems.

thanks once again,

Aditi Kane

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Tracked Changes in MS Word 2003

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search