Thread poster: Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt

Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 08:36
German to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2009

Hello everyone,

For some reason, I am no longer able to open the 'Properties' menu in Word. I am using Office 2007 and have no such problem with any of the other applications.
Also, all of the other functions in the Office menu work just fine, e.g. in the 'Prepare' menu, I can without any problems open 'Inspect Document', 'Ron Compatibility Checker' etc.
'Properties' are also included in my quick access toolbar, but again, I can't open the menu.
I am sure that I must have accidently hit the wrong key to bring that about. But how to reverse it?

Any suggestions welcome.
Greetings from Sydney,
Petra

Ulf Norlinger  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 22:36
English to Swedish
+ ...
Reset MS Word to Factory Default settings Aug 21, 2009

I think the best way to solve this may be to reset MS Word to the state it was after you have installed it. If you haven't made a Windows Reset-point just after the installation of MS Word 2007, you have to reset Word through deleting a key in the registry.

1) Though, in your case it may be sufficient to delete the file "Normal.dot" which store the settings for menus, toolbars, and so on in MS Word (but make a copy of the file just in case!). MS Word will recreate "Normal.dot" the next time you start Word, but now with the initial Menu-, Toolbar-settings, and so on.

2) If this is not enough, you have to delete the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/Word key.
(start registry editor through "run regedit" in the Start-menu)
Restart Word. Word has been reset to default settings.

You can read more here:
http://word.tips.net/Pages/T001330_Factory_Default_Settings_for_Word.html

[Redigerad 2009-08-21 00:11 GMT]

Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 08:36
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot find either... Aug 23, 2009

Hi Ulf,
I have just tried in vain to find either, i.e. normal.dot and/or HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/Word key!
With the latter, I made is as far as HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Office/12.0/ in the menu, but then there was not 'Word key'. Hmm. Where might I find it?
The 'search' function did not help me either.
It is not a major issue, I know, but a little frustrating all the same...
Regards,
P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to open 'Properties' menu in Word

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search