Need urgent help with WORD formatting
Thread poster: teju

teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 21, 2009

I was minding my own business working on a translation that I have to finish in a couple of hours and I must have hit the wrong key. The whole text is full of periods between the words, and there's a funny symbol that looks like a reverse P at the end of each line. When I realized what I had done, I thought I could fix it by closing the file without saving the most recent changes, but when I opened it up again, there it was. All I did was lose about 30 minutes' worth of work! It won't let me delete the symbols either. When I try to open a new document in Word, there's the silly P symbol again at the beginning of the page, and it can't be erased. When I try to copy and paste, the text comes out without any of that stuff, so I can't show you a sample. Does anyone have any idea of what I've done and how to fix it? Thank you very much!
teju

Irene McClure
Local time: 20:38
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
This might help Aug 21, 2009

I'm not a techie, but try going to the "view" tab and then go down to a sub-heading which should say something like "show paragraph marks".

Make sure it is not selected. That should remove all the reverse Ps and any other formatting symbols.

I'm not sure what the exact sub-heading is as my version of Word is in French - it reads "afficher les marques de paragraphe".

Hope it works!

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 21:38
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Use show/hide button Aug 21, 2009

It seems that you have pressed the show/hide button. Press it once more to hide nonprinting characters

Rodrigo Castillo H.
Chile
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
Deactivate Hidden Characters Aug 21, 2009

You just turned on Show Hidden Characters. To turn it off, click the Show Hidden Characters icon in the main toolbar (¶).

Good luck!

teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!!! Aug 21, 2009

Thank you Savtrad for replying. Selcuk, you are a genius! It worked! Something so simple to do and it was driving me crazy! I really really appreciate your help, now I can get back to work.

teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you too Rodrigo Aug 21, 2009

I had just finished writing when your reply came in. Crisis is over! TGIF.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
They can be useful Aug 21, 2009

The reverse 'P' is just the sign for 'enter' and the 'periods' you saw are the spaces between words. I always work with this feature turn on, so I can see where they are and if any are missing. I guess it's a matter of what you are used to.

Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:38
French to English
useful, but ugly Aug 22, 2009

This feature can also be turned on and off by hitting [CNTRL]+[,], which is probably how you accidently turned it on in the first place. I did it once and was quite horrified until I figured it out, now I find the shortcut key very handy - plus I know what I did when I see the hidden material pop up.

teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was it! Aug 22, 2009

Joan Berglund wrote:

This feature can also be turned on and off by hitting [CNTRL]+[,], which is probably how you accidently turned it on in the first place. I did it once and was quite horrified until I figured it out, now I find the shortcut key very handy - plus I know what I did when I see the hidden material pop up.

Joan, no doubt that's exactly what I did. I knew I had hit one of those lower left evil keys that I never use (ctrl, alt, and the little flag). As you can see, my computer knowledge is very limited, that's why I call them the "evil" keys, they get me into a lot of trouble when I happen to hit them by mistake.

Thanks to all who wrote and helped.

teju

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need urgent help with WORD formatting

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search