Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2009

For years I had used MS Office 2002 (XP). Now a few weeks ago I purchased a licence for Office 2003. I registered with Microsoft. But every time I start Word or Excel I have to accept the user agreement. Also otherwise my settings are not saved, so I have to select Wordfast or Trados dot each time I do a start-up.
Is there anything I can do than returning back to 2002? I did that on my other computer and all my settings were there after de-installing Office 2003.
My system is Vista professional.

Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:33
French to English
for the .dot files Sep 2, 2009

Did you try putting the .dot files directly in the word startup directory? If you do that, they should be there and already selected each time you start.

Not sure about the license agreement - maybe you should contact their support?

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Use Administrator Account Sep 2, 2009

You need to accept the settings once while logged in with an account that has administrative privileges.

After that, the question will not come up again, unless you install an update.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have all privileges Sep 2, 2009

tectranslate wrote:

You need to accept the settings once while logged in with an account that has administrative privileges.

After that, the question will not come up again, unless you install an update.

There is no other user and I installed the programs. So I don't know where to get more privileges.
Regards
Heinrich

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Hmmm. Sep 2, 2009

That's weird, especially if you're on XP. I know that Vista runs all programs with restricted rights by default, so there you'd have to use "Run as Administrator", but in XP...?

Here's a knowledgebase article directly from Microsoft on this topic:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202

HTH,

Benjamin

P.S.: Maybe it's a virus scanner interfering with Registry access. You might want to try disabling that momentarily before you accept the EULA.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Its Vista Sep 2, 2009

There is only one user, me, and I see nowhere the possibility to run as administrator. I can only click on my user icon or the credential manager, and when I click on credential manager there is of course only one user, me again.
So I don't know where is the administrator.

sivtufte  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Word sets one version in priority I think, causing the ongoing activation process. Sep 2, 2009

I use Word 2003, yet had a trial 2007 installed - you know, to check it out.

That's when my computer started asking again and again, for me to purchase/convert trial 2007. I finally just removed the whole 2007 and haven't had any more problems since.

This may not be of any help to you at all, but I think it might be an idea to uninstall the previous word version, and see if the 2003 works then?
If you should regret this, your license to the first version will allow you to re-install it anyways

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:33
Swedish to English
+ ...
If I remember correctly Sep 2, 2009

There are two different kinds of "administrator" in Vista (moved to Mac a month or so ago so my memory might be wrong).
Heinrich Pesch wrote:

There is only one user, me, and I see nowhere the possibility to run as administrator. I can only click on my user icon or the credential manager, and when I click on credential manager there is of course only one user, me again.
So I don't know where is the administrator.

Just because you are have an account set up as administrator (and only user of the system) does not automatically mean that you run programs "as administrator". If I remember correctly you need to click on Start > Programs and then right-click on the program and select "Run as administrator".

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Duh. Sep 2, 2009

Oh boy, guess I need to work on my reading comprehension. You clearly said you were on Vista Professional.

Just do what Madeleine said and you should be fine.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to Office XP Sep 3, 2009

Probably the reason was, that I had too many versions of MS Office. Somehow the system had managed to install 2007 Suite, without my knowledge (?). I deinstalled 2007 and the 2007 assistant and 2003 and got Office 2002 working again. Those inglorious basterds at MS!
I'll save the 2003 version for later use on a second computer.
Thanks for your help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003: every time I have to accept

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search