Backing up in Outlook
Thread poster: engrus
engrus  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
English to Russian
+ ...
Sep 24, 2003

Hello,

I would be very thankful if you could help me to back up all the information I have in the Outlook (Office XP). I have created a lot of folders and sort all my E-mails I need to keep into those folders. Now I have so much information, letters with attachments etc all in those folders. Can I back it all up on regular basis on CD and then when I need to access the information, how can I do that?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

ckatsidonis  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:20
English to French
+ ...
Import and Export Sep 24, 2003

engrus wrote:

Hello,

I would be very thankful if you could help me to back up all the information I have in the Outlook (Office XP). I have created a lot of folders and sort all my E-mails I need to keep into those folders. Now I have so much information, letters with attachments etc all in those folders. Can I back it all up on regular basis on CD and then when I need to access the information, how can I do that?

Thank you

Hi "engrus",

The easiest thing to do (and I think the only one natively integrated within Outlook 2002) is to Export to a .pst file (File/Import and Export), selecting the root folder of yours (Personal Folders, I guess). Make sure to select "Include all subfolders". You can then subsequently import the file through the same option.

Just play around a bit with this option. It's not the easiest way to back up I have seen but it works after you get used.

Any question? Just drop me a line.

Regards,

Charalambos

PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Two ways to do this Sep 25, 2003

1. Use the "Archive" command in the "File" menu (directly under Export/import) to archive whatever folders you wish. The window will guide you through the options - folders, sub-folders, dates etc.
You get to name the file however you wish and save it wherever you like.
You can open the archived files by using the "open" command in the "file" menu.

2. The quick and dirty way is to look for the 'outlook.pst' file on your HDD, copy it and save it wherever you like (a CD-R, most likely, as the file can easily be several hundred MB). This is more of a safeguard option, in case you HDD crashes or you install your system on a new HDD and wish to retrieve all your e-mails and contacts. You just overwrite your outlook.pst file on top of the default one that installs when you install Outlook.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

engrus  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much for your help. I'll try it all and see what happens : ) Sep 25, 2003

PAS wrote:

1. Use the "Archive" command in the "File" menu (directly under Export/import) to archive whatever folders you wish. The window will guide you through the options - folders, sub-folders, dates etc.
You get to name the file however you wish and save it wherever you like.
You can open the archived files by using the "open" command in the "file" menu.

2. The quick and dirty way is to look for the 'outlook.pst' file on your HDD, copy it and save it wherever you like (a CD-R, most likely, as the file can easily be several hundred MB). This is more of a safeguard option, in case you HDD crashes or you install your system on a new HDD and wish to retrieve all your e-mails and contacts. You just overwrite your outlook.pst file on top of the default one that installs when you install Outlook.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:20
English to French
+ ...
export rules Oct 10, 2003

If you have many folders you may already use rules, do not forget to export them separately because they are not exported with the regular function.

When I have to reinstall my computer I make back-ups of course, but usually tend to forget something, and it can be a quite time-consuming process to recreate all those rules.

HTH

Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Backing up in Outlook

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search