Word 2003 files just grow and grow
Thread poster: Eutychus

Eutychus  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:26
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

Importing a Word 2003 file into CAT software (DVX) can sometimes make the file swell from under 1MB to over 6MB! Does anyone know why this is or how to fix it? I'm posting here because I think this is a Word problem, not a CAT problem.

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:26
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Problem related to doc > rtf conversion Sep 8, 2009

You are right, this problem is not related to DVX. The following article describes the solution: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224663

Selcuk

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
"clean" the word file Sep 8, 2009

Sometimes selecting everything in the Word file and copying to a new file will help to keep the problem under control...
(this is less dangerous than changing the registry settings)

Ed

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for responses so far Sep 9, 2009

Selcuk, that sort of explains it (yes I do have embedded images in these documents), but I don't think I'm going to be messing around in the registry.

Edward, that works, but why?!

Actually, looking more closely, the expansion is happening in the present case when I save Word documents downloaded from an e-mail (these documents were previously opened by someone using Word 2007, I don't know if that makes a difference?). Prior to opening, they are of normal size. If I open and save them, they swell.

If I copy all and paste into a new Word 2003 document, it reverts to its normal size.

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Word stores the changes Sep 9, 2009

Word actually stores all changes in the document
So if you copy over text, correct it, or run it through a translation software, all text (and images?) have been "touched", and the file expands...

By copying the text to a new document, you sort of take a snapshot and start with a "new" / clean version.

Ed

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Several options of saving changes Sep 10, 2009

If you use option of background saving Word saves automatically every 10 minutes (or any other period of time you choose in the settings) the last changes. Let's say it is every 10 min - after 4h of work your file has additional 24 batches of changes. While this option is useful as such - it requires less resources to save changes rather than write the entire file all over again - after a while the file may become really big. The fastest way of reducing size of a file is to save it as a new copy. To make it really fast use F12 button

You may have a look:
- here: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2086
- here http://www.ehow.com/how_2286147_turn-off-background-saving-word.html and
- here http://word.tips.net/Pages/T000599_Understanding_Background_Saving.html

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Another possibility is "Fast Save" Sep 12, 2009

Check if your settings are using "Enable fast saves." This feature appends the newly-changed blocks of text to the end of the file, without deleting the old text, so any save operation is instantaneous. If a graphic is involved or is close to the change, the step-increase is substantial. The size of the file grows and grows until Word decides the file has become too big, does a re-save (which takes a longer) and the file is restored to the smaller size. This size-shrinking also happens if you do a Save As.

The feature made sense back in the time of slow computers, when big files would take a minute to save.

Regards,

Daniel

Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your help! Oct 7, 2009

Copying and pasting the completed file seems to be the way to go for now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 files just grow and grow

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search