Thread poster: Heike Behl, Ph.D.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:58
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 3, 2009

I updated an existing translated manual in Doc format. The existing TOC cacnot be updated correctly; only the last three chapters remain, everything else disappears.

I couldn't find any reason for that behavior as all headings are properly formatted, so I decided to create a new TOC.

So far so good. However, the chapter headings (Heading 1) are displayed with ... before and after the heading text. The sub-headings (Heading 2), on the other hand, are OK.

It looks something like this:

Chapter 1: ............... Adafsdjkl sdfasdkflasd asdfad sfasdfasdf
asdfd......................................................................................1

Chapter 2: ................................................................................F
adfasf......................................................................................2
Subheading ...........................................................................2
Subheading ...........................................................................3
Subheading ...........................................................................4

Chapter 3: ...............................................................................G
asdfasdf ....................................................................................5

How do I get rid of the .......... between "Chapter X" and the chapter heading?

Alternatively: Does anybody have any idea why the original TOC cannot be updated without losing most of its content? Maybe that's an easier fix than the other one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Table of Contents box issue (I think) Oct 3, 2009

Word automatically assumes that Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. make up the TOC. Your original document may use different styles to define the TOC (i.e. ones the user made himself or the automatic ones in his language in Word).

To check this, go to the Table of Contents box (I do not know which Word version you are using so cannot tell you how to get there). Select Options and see which styles have been selected to make the TOC. Verify this against your original file and amend your translation file accordingly. This should do the trick.

VIBOL KEO  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:58
Member (2009)
English to Khmer (Central)
Verify its source... Oct 3, 2009

Heike,

I used to face such a problem. It has been a little bit long ago...

It had occurred to me to click on such a link of TOC in question then verified if there were anythings around where it was associated.

As a result, I found some texts involved its default of heading. Then I cleared it out and just returned to review its show level setting if it was as desired... then click OK... Going back to the working TOC I just updated it... That's all as it got done...

Well, just try to follow this path if this problem would get solved...

Great and Green Weekend...!

United States
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nope Oct 3, 2009

Marijke Singer wrote:

Word automatically assumes that Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. make up the TOC. Your original document may use different styles to define the TOC (i.e. ones the user made himself or the automatic ones in his language in Word).

To check this, go to the Table of Contents box (I do not know which Word version you are using so cannot tell you how to get there). Select Options and see which styles have been selected to make the TOC. Verify this against your original file and amend your translation file accordingly. This should do the trick.

I wish it were that easy!

As I said, they styles of the different headings have all been set according to the applied TOC template.

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Tab leader Oct 3, 2009

The ...... after the heading text is probably due to having selected them as the tab leader on the Table of Contents box. You can choose between None, ...... or ------.

If they show before the heading text, this should be because they are also there in the Heading 1 text, Heading 2 text, etc.

[Edited at 2009-10-03 10:22 GMT]

United States
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved - just don't ask me how! Oct 3, 2009

I just experimented with the displayed levels of the newly created TOC for quite a while and ended up with a definition that is completely different from the original. But the outcome looks identical. Pretty bizarre, and I can't say I understand the "logic" behind it.

But now the TOC looks great, and I haven't even wasted my entire Saturday on it!
All's well that ends well...

Thanks for your input!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TOC generation in Word 2007

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search