https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/148513-insertion_of_capital_i_and_not_a_full_stop_insight.html

Insertion of capital I and not a full stop insight
Thread poster: Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 19, 2009

My laptop woke up this morning and decided to start all words beginning with an I with a capital, not a full stop in sight. I'm using Word 2003.
I don't know how to stop this and would be grateful for your suggestions.
Thanks
Suzi

Tony M
Tony M
France
Local time: 23:10
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Autocorrect: which language are you set to? Oct 19, 2009

This is a feature of autocorrect in EN, where it changes i after a space to I; so I'd guess either your autocorrect has got turned on (when it is usually off), or else maybe your language has got switched to EN (when it is usually something else).

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:10
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
capital I Oct 19, 2009

Sorted - could kick myself
thanks
Suzi

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Don't kick yourself... Oct 19, 2009

...kick Bill Gates instead!

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Huh? Oct 20, 2009

I've been pondering this overnight and I can't think of a single circumstance where that would be any use at all. I could understand uppercasing an 'i' with a space (or punctuation mark) before and after it but who thought it was a good idea to change it with just a leading space?

T.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
True! Oct 20, 2009

Terry Richards wrote:

I can't think of a single circumstance where that would be any use at all. I could understand uppercasing an 'i' with a space (or punctuation mark) before and after it but who thought it was a good idea to change it with just a leading space?

Indeed, yes, you're quite right, Terry! I suppose it allows for situations where it might be followed by an apostrophe (I'm, I'll, etc.) or conceivably by a full-stop or comma.

However, the idea of auto-correcting ALL initial 'I's really wouldn't work at all; they must use some other algorithm... but in any case, it seems to have gone wrong in this instance; I have had similar issues recently with autocorrect, where all of a sudden it started taking it into its own head to double up the last letter of some words — though not on any consistent basis. I wasted quite a lot of time trying to look into it, but in the end had to give up and simply turn off autocorrect altogether, which is a nuisance, as it does offer a few handy features.

I'd love to know if this isn't a 'bug' introduced in recent updates; I've noticed that quite a lot of earlier Word bugs have been surreptitiously fixed (even though Office 2003 it is supposedly no longer being supported) , but who's to say what new ones may have been introduced... ?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Insertion of capital I and not a full stop insight

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »