Thread poster: Shouguang Cao

Shouguang Cao
China
Local time: 05:27
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 30, 2009

I searched the proz.com forum and did not find this tip, so I would like to share it here.

Copy/paste – I know pasting text with format information (e.g. fonts, color, size etc) is an important feature, but probably around 9 out of 10 times we need only to paste the plain text so the text fits into the position pasted better. You can paste plain text with Word, to do that,

in Word 2003, click Edit->Selective Paste->plain text.

You can also use the keyboard – ALT+E, L and then select.

I always wonder why Microsoft doesn’t make it easier. Why isn’t there a direct keyboard short cut to such an useful operation? Microsoft doesn’t provide a shortcut, but you can create one yourself:

With Word 2003:

Go to Tools->Macro->Visual Basic Editor->Right click on Normal and then click Insert–>Module. Copy and paste the following code to that Module and save.

'code begin
Sub PastePlain()
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatPlainText)
End Sub
'code end

Now you have created a small macro named PastePlain. The next step is to create a shortcut to that macro: In Word 2003, Click tools ->customize->commands->Keyboard button. Select Macros in the Categories list, choose PastePlain, click “Press new shortcut” box and press down a key combination like ALT+V.

Next time you you copy some text, you can use the usual CTRL+V to paste rich text, and ALT+V to paste plain text.

If you don’t want to bother with any thing like macros, you can use Steve Miller’s free PureText. Run it in the background and use Win+V to paste plain text in any text applications.

Direct link Reply with quote

FarkasAndras
Local time: 23:27
English to Hungarian
+ ...
glitch Oct 30, 2009

Thanks for posting, this looks useful... But the shortcut doesn't work for me.
I can launch the macro from the Tools/Macros menu and it works as expected, but when I use the assigned shortcut all I get is a popup that says Attached CSS stylesheets and expects me to add CSS stylesheets to something for some reason... No idea where it comes from, but it pops up whatever shortcut I assign to the macro.
Any idea?

Shouguang Cao
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
try another shortcut Oct 30, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

I can launch the macro from the Tools/Macros menu and it works as expected, but when I use the assigned shortcut all I get is a popup that says Attached CSS stylesheets and expects me to add CSS stylesheets to something for some reason... No idea where it comes from, but it pops up whatever shortcut I assign to the macro.
Any idea?

This is possibly because the shortcut you assigned is taken by another program that is running. Close all other running programs, including ones minimized in the system tray and try again. Or try assign another shortcut like ALT+SHIFT+V.

Dallas

Mykhailo Voloshko  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 00:27
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
variant Oct 30, 2009

Here's the description of the variant I use (in English): http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA010429611033.aspx

And my blog post about it (in Russian): http://www.wordhord.com/2009/09/vstavka-teksta-bez-formatirovaniya-v-ms-word/

Good Luck!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not the shortcut Oct 30, 2009

Dallas Cao wrote:

FarkasAndras wrote:

Any idea?

This is possibly because the shortcut you assigned is taken by another program that is running. Close all other running programs, including ones minimized in the system tray and try again. Or try assign another shortcut like ALT+SHIFT+V.

Dallas

Obviously, I tried various obscure shortcuts that are definitely not used by anything else. I guess I will be stuck pasting text via Notepad... oh well.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I'll pass Nov 1, 2009

Thanks for your trouble but I'll just forget about it. I have no use for Google translations so I won't install GT4T just to try and troubleshoot.
I guess this is probably some strange glitch in my Word install which could be really tricky to troubleshoot and probably not worth the effort.

Shouguang Cao
China
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PlainPaste Nov 9, 2009

Hi FarkasAndras,

I created an application that is similar to PlainText mentioned above. It adds a shortcut CTRL+ALT+V to windows system and you can use the shortcut to paste plain text to any application.

It is a freeware.

http://dallascao.com/en/2009/11/plainpaste/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paste plain text in Word

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search