Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 05:03
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 11, 2009

I've came across an interesting post concerning extending the Word 2007 ribbon feature:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6376/how-to-find-commands-and-functions-in-office-2007-the-easy-way/

While I am not working with 2007 yet, this might certainly make the switch easier, especially for a heavy FARR user like me...
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Thanks for the link, but... Nov 11, 2009

This sounds interesting, especially as I'm still fighting now and then to find how to perform in Word 2007 the simple tasks that I used to do in 2003.
It's probably too late to get this tool, as I declined, initially, this proposal to act as a guinea pig for Microsoft.
Looking at the examples, I note that the tool finds the tasks for you, but it does not tell you WHERE you can access them directly... No way to improve. Typically Microsoft.
In my opinion, such a tool should be p
... See more
This sounds interesting, especially as I'm still fighting now and then to find how to perform in Word 2007 the simple tasks that I used to do in 2003.
It's probably too late to get this tool, as I declined, initially, this proposal to act as a guinea pig for Microsoft.
Looking at the examples, I note that the tool finds the tasks for you, but it does not tell you WHERE you can access them directly... No way to improve. Typically Microsoft.
In my opinion, such a tool should be part of Microsoft's usability testing process, with paid testers and not paying customers. Considering the price we pay for this software, I'd consider it normal to have it professionally tested.
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
A way to _replace_ ribbon? Nov 11, 2009

bohy wrote:
Looking at the examples, I note that the tool finds the tasks for you, but it does not tell you WHERE you can access them directly... No way to improve.

Well, I hoped it would be possible to access ALL commands just by typing, making ribbon hunting obsolete... But maybe I'm wrong, did not use it myself...

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Classic Menus Nov 11, 2009

Another helpful aid for people converting from Office 2003 to Office 2007 is the "Classic Menus" software from Add-in Tools. http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/
It provides an alternative set of menus in the old format in addition to the 2007 format. I have found it useful in Word and PowerPoint.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Ubit add-in... Nov 12, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

Another helpful aid for people converting from Office 2003 to Office 2007 is the "Classic Menus" software from Add-in Tools. http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/
It provides an alternative set of menus in the old format in addition to the 2007 format. I have found it useful in Word and PowerPoint.

A cheaper solution:
http://www.ubit.ch/software/ubitmenu-languages

Cheers
GG

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
Just use it Nov 12, 2009

As a Word user since version 2.0, I felt also huge frustration when I switched to Word 2007. I use to go crazy searching for one command or another.
After almost one year of using it, I can say that the ribbon has more "thumb-ups" than "thumb-downs". I can reach usual commands quicker.
So, my advice is - just use it, you will see that the learning curve is really short (steep).

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
not me Nov 12, 2009

Dan Ilioiu wrote:

After almost one year of using it, I can say that the ribbon has more "thumb-ups" than "thumb-downs". I can reach usual commands quicker.

It's the opposite for me, it's been over a year too, and I'm still not comfortable with the ribbon. Sometimes I find the commands faster by googling where to find it instead of searching through everything. It's just not intuitive.

Jaroslaw Michalak
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
The power of typing Nov 12, 2009

I am curious, as I greatly appreciate the power of typed commands.

I cannot remember when I have used a desktop item, the Start menu or (the horror!) run a program from the Explorer. I start everything with a shortcut and several typed letters...

If this feature worked this way (i.e. it gave me access to every Word item I would use from the command line), then it would be much more convenient even than the 2003 interface!

delveneto
delveneto
United States
Local time: 23:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Here too Nov 12, 2009

Dan Ilioiu wrote:

As a Word user since version 2.0, I felt also huge frustration when I switched to Word 2007. I use to go crazy searching for one command or another.
So, my advice is - just use it, you will see that the learning curve is really short (steep).

I second that. Get used to it. In the long run, it will pay.

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 06:03
English to Romanian
+ ...
Shortcuts? here you go Nov 12, 2009

Jabberwock wrote:

I start everything with a shortcut and several typed letters...

Then, in Word, press Alt (just press it, don't keep it pressed) - you will see letters appearing next to the tab names in the ribbon.

press the letter for the tab you're interrested in, then press the letter corresponding to the command you're looking for.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A way to tame the Word Ribbon?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »