How can I do a word-count for tables with medical formulas in MS Word?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 13, 2009

Many of the tables do not really contain 'words' in the true sense, but rather chemical formulas for medicine descriptions, a lot of special signs and diacritics. I think that the word-count in MS Word does not consider the 'words' inside tables, is that correct? So how is it possible to count what is 'words'?

Everything that is not separated by a blank space should count as word in my opinion.

Michael Roberts  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Word does count tables Nov 13, 2009

Word counts tables, but not text boxes (hence your confusion). So what you want should work. To test it, highlight just part of the table (say, one cell or one row) and call up a word count. Word will count just the words in the selection - if that matches what you think it does, then you're good to go.

Otherwise, if you want to mail me a sample, I could probably write a macro to do what you want. No promises about delivery timing! (Ha - predictable delivery times are one big reason why I switched from software development to translation in the first place.)

Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:54
Member (2005)
Latin to English
+ ...
Words are unseparated groups of characters Nov 13, 2009

Any collection of characters not separated by a spaces count as a word. Thus Einstein's E=mc² counts as one word, where if written E = mc² this would count as three words. Using symbols or regular letters does not change this rule. The client should accept this principle. However, one can give the client a break if one feels like it by one's formatting (e.g. E=mc² v. E = mc². I would in this regard basically orient myself on English usage. Thus the date for this Christmas -- 12/25/2009 in American usage, 25/12/2009 in almosty everyone else's -- will count in both cases as one word, while December 25 2009 will count as three. For goodwill purposes, I am willing to cut the client a break, for instance in a birth certificate where in the original the remainder of a line is filled with hyphens to show nothing has been illegally added, I will (regardless of the original) start the line of hyphens (which after all costs me nothing in effort) without a space after the preceding word (e.g. 1977--------- as opposed to 1977 ------------- so that the hyphens are simply counted with the preceding date as one word. Leave 'em happy, right? As a previous replier noted, there is a difference between tables, which are automatically included in Word's word count, and text boxes, which are not. The content of text boxes (insert plus text box) have to be counted separately, either by hand or by going to the text box, highlighting the content, and then using "word count". In my message accompanying my submission I explain this, along the lines of "please find my invoice. Word count includes XXXX words counted by Word plus 14 + 5 words in two text boxes, which as usual are not captured by the Word word count tool."

[Edited at 2009-11-13 06:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-13 06:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-13 06:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-13 06:56 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-13 06:58 GMT]

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can you write a macro to do a word-count on only words and not numbers and formulas? Nov 13, 2009

Michael Roberts,

Can you write a macro to do a word-count on only words and not numbers and formulas?

The customer asked me for a solution on this, they don't want to pay for the numbers and formulas contained in these tables.

Is there any way to separate the word-count do you think? The translation we are doing is a big project on 200,000 words from English into simplified Chinese, medical formulas for a drug product.

My email is fredrik@linguanova.co.uk

Cheers!

Fredrik

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:54
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Three ideas Nov 13, 2009

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Everything that is not separated by a blank space should count as word in my opinion.

1. In a different post about this topic you ask how not to count numbers. Here's how: Make a copy of the file, and then do a find/replace operation that removes all numbers:

Find: [0-9]
Replace with: (nothing)
Wildcards enabled

2. Count the spaces (but you'll lose one word per paragraph). Do a find replace in which you replace spaces with double spaces, and MS Word will tell you how many replacements were made.

3. If the formulas are only in certain columns, you can do it semi-manually, i.e. by jumping to each table, clicking in the column that needs deleting, and deleting that column. Jumping to the next table and deleting a column can be done using a keyboard shortcut.

a) At the bottom right of your screen, below the scroll bar, are two doubled arrows up and down, and between it is a little dot. Click the dot and select "Table".
b) Go Tools > Customize > Keyboard (button at bottom)
c) In the left list, select "All commands" and in the right list select "BrowseNext".
d) Put your cursor in the "new shortcut key" field and press a desired new shortcut on your keyboard (eg Alt+d). Click "Assign".
e) In the left list, select "Table" and in the right list select "TableDeleteColumn"
f) Put your cursor in the "new shortcut key" field and press a desired new shortcut on your keyboard (eg Alt+s). Click "Assign".

Now you can use Alt+D to jump to each table, use your mouse to click once in the column that needs to be deleted, and then press Alt+S to delete that column. When you're done, do a wordcount on what remains.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search