Spellchecks in Word
Thread poster: Tina Colquhoun

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:46
Danish to English
+ ...
Dec 2, 2009

Hi

I am running Office 2007 on Vista and recently added a Microsoft Office Language Pack (for Danish) - although the latter may be irrelevant - but whatever language I am spellchecking in, the Add to Dictionary button is greyed out.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Tina

Direct link Reply with quote

RERENSOSO4EVER
United States
Local time: 06:46
English to Arabic
It could be that the language you need is not installed in the dictionary. Dec 2, 2009

Tina Colquhoun wrote:

Hi

I am running Office 2007 on Vista and recently added a Microsoft Office Language Pack (for Danish) - although the latter may be irrelevant - but whatever language I am spellchecking in, the Add to Dictionary button is greyed out.

Does anyone know why this would be?

Tina

Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:46
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Service pack? Dec 2, 2009

There is a service pack for Office 2007 Language Packs that irons out several issues (the initial release was so awfully bug-ridden!). Have you installed this one? (You will be automatically notified by Windows/Microsoft Update).

xxxJose Teixeir  Identity Verified
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Custom dictionary Dec 2, 2009

Hi. Try this to see if it helps any:

Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.

Click Proofing, and then click Custom Dictionaries under When correcting spelling in Microsoft Office programs.

Click New to create a new custom dictionary.

In the File name box, type a name for the new custom dictionary, and then click Save (I call them C1).

In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, click OK, and then click OK in the Options dialog box.

Then, you add words to that dictionary, leaving the original intact. In a way, it's the same.

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:46
French to English
+ ...
Vaguely remember a similar problem... Dec 2, 2009

...back with a much earlier version of Word (Win 97?).

I think, as José says, that it eventually turned out to be associated with the 'custom dic' — AFAIK, words are not added to the main Word dic, but are instead added into your 'custom' dic; and I think if this is corrupted, misisng, or whatever, then the option may disappear.

I can't remember now what the solution was, but I think it was probably as simple as creating a new 'dummy' custom dic (probably copied one from someone else!), just to get things started again.

Sorry these are only faint recollections, but hope they might at least encourage you in the right direction

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Danish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Dec 4, 2009

Thanks for all your good advice!

The SP1 (and 2) certainly worked on my laptop - so problem solved there.

Have still to figure out why the same thing is happening on my desktop...

I will try Jose's suggestion - I saw something similar on a Microsoft Tech forum so that seems to be the way to go!

Tina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spellchecks in Word

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search