https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/154906-problem_with_filtering_an_excel_spreadsheet.html

Problem with filtering an Excel Spreadsheet
Thread poster: Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 10, 2010

I am quite familiar with the filter function using a Excel spreadsheet. This time, however, I´m lost. The spreadsheet I am currently working with is quite comprehensive, 1300 rows and columns A-AN, has been put together over years.
When filtering by name, the drop down menue shows names A-Sti, names Sto-Z do not show up in the filter drop down menue.
I could not find a reason for this. There is no blank row after Sti.
Has anyone an idea what could be the reason for this proble
... See more
I am quite familiar with the filter function using a Excel spreadsheet. This time, however, I´m lost. The spreadsheet I am currently working with is quite comprehensive, 1300 rows and columns A-AN, has been put together over years.
When filtering by name, the drop down menue shows names A-Sti, names Sto-Z do not show up in the filter drop down menue.
I could not find a reason for this. There is no blank row after Sti.
Has anyone an idea what could be the reason for this problem?
Thank you for any help.
Best regards
Klaus
Collapse

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:46
English to Japanese
+ ...
This page may help you.. Jan 10, 2010

Hi Klaus,

If you are using a pre-2007 version, there is a limit -- 1000 entries - on the number of unique entries that appear in the dropdown. This page explains that:

http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002403_Increasing_the_AutoFilter_DropDown_Limit.html

There are a number of discussions and suggestions over the Internet
... See more
Hi Klaus,

If you are using a pre-2007 version, there is a limit -- 1000 entries - on the number of unique entries that appear in the dropdown. This page explains that:

http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002403_Increasing_the_AutoFilter_DropDown_Limit.html

There are a number of discussions and suggestions over the Internet about how to deal with this. Hope you will find what best suits your case!

Regards,
Rie
Collapse

Klaus Urban
Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:46
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Rie Jan 10, 2010

Thank you Rie, this really explains the situation I am faced with. I need no longer try to find out what my be wrong with my Exceel sheet.
Thank you also for the link. I will try the tip to reduce the number of unique entries.
Best regards
Klaus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with filtering an Excel Spreadsheet

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »