Transferring bibliographies between different versions of Word
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jan 23, 2010

I use Word 2000 (how many other pieces of ten-year-old software do you have that are still doing a good job?).

I'm translating a 17,000-word MBA thesis. I sent the customer half the job and she's not happy because she says the automatically generated bibliography from Word 2007, the version she uses, has been lost. I must admit I didn't know there was such a thing as a bibliography feature.

The references are still there in the text, and the bibliography is there at the
... See more
I use Word 2000 (how many other pieces of ten-year-old software do you have that are still doing a good job?).

I'm translating a 17,000-word MBA thesis. I sent the customer half the job and she's not happy because she says the automatically generated bibliography from Word 2007, the version she uses, has been lost. I must admit I didn't know there was such a thing as a bibliography feature.

The references are still there in the text, and the bibliography is there at the end, but I understand that the references should be invisible in the text unless you roll the mouse over them.

The customer wants me to upgrade to Word 2007 and import the translation into it, but I can't help feeling there must be a simpler solution. Surely there must be some kind of backwards compatibility?

I'd be grateful for any help you can provide.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:10
Italian to English
Non compatible feature Jan 24, 2010

Hi Phil

This page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx confirms that, even with the Compatibility pack, bibliographies are permanently converted to static text.

The short term answer might be to ask someone else to do it for you. I would offer - having just switched to 2007 - but I have no expertise in the area of bibliographies
... See more
Hi Phil

This page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA100444731033.aspx confirms that, even with the Compatibility pack, bibliographies are permanently converted to static text.

The short term answer might be to ask someone else to do it for you. I would offer - having just switched to 2007 - but I have no expertise in the area of bibliographies.

Russell

[Edited at 2010-01-24 12:23 GMT]
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Russell Jan 24, 2010

I was beginning to suspect that this was the case, but it's good to have it confirmed.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transferring bibliographies between different versions of Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »