Formula for selecting portions of text in a complex Word document
Thread poster: xxxavsie

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:59
English to French
+ ...
Mar 10, 2010

Hi everyone,

I need some help with a complex Word document. It's been made by copying a column from an Excel file. The text to translate is mixed with flat HTML codes, i.e. the codes appear as text.

Is there a formula to enter in the Seach dialog box to search for 'everything' that appears as < HTML code >? I want to select these HTML codes and format them as hidden text, so Trados skips them when translating.

The word count exceeds 70 000 words and including the HTML codes, we're talking close to 180 000 words, over more than 800 rows. So I really just can't go line per line to mark the HTML codes, as it varies too much.

I'm using Office 2003 on an XP Professional computer, and I plan to translate with SDL Trados 2007 Suite (8.3.0.863) in TagEditor.

Thanks very much in advance,

Marie-Claude

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Select text parts between angle brackets Mar 10, 2010

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

Is there a formula to enter in the Seach dialog box to search for 'everything' that appears as < HTML code >? I want to select these HTML codes and format them as hidden text, so Trados skips them when translating.

Hi Marie-Claude,

Yes, Word's powerful Find and replace function can do that – and much more.

Find what: \
Tick the "Use wildcards" checkbox

Replace with: [should be left empty]
and the appropriate format should be set: click on More, and in the Format drop-down menu, select Style, and then choose a suitable style, e.g., tw4winInternal]

tw4winInternal is just one (good) option; if the style does not exist, you can define it easily.

Word's Find and replace function was extensively covered in the webinar MS Word for translators: Find and replace features and other tips and tricks and in the conference session Word and Excel Tips and Tricks for Translators. It will also be the subject of the workshop Word and Excel tips and tricks at ProZ.com's Birmingham conference, which is likely to have a follow-up in June, when a full-day training of Word and Excel is expected to be offered.

Kind regards,
Attila

xxxavsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
THANK YOU! Mar 10, 2010

Thanks Attila! I was missing the slashes in my formula I think, because when I was using < * > (without spaces), it would basically select all of the text, except punctuation marks!

I'll go try it right now...

Edited to add: it works like a charm icon_wink.gif Thanks a million for saving the day!

[Edited at 2010-03-10 10:37 GMT]

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The formula once again Apr 22, 2010

The formula in my post above seems to be affected by an HTML-misinterpretation problem, so here it goes again, with spaces added in the "Find what" part; remove them to get the correct string (backslash – left angle bracket – asterisk – backslash – right angle bracket):

Find what: \ < * \ >
Tick the "Use wildcards" checkbox

Replace with: [should be left empty]
and the appropriate format should be set: click on More, and in the Format drop-down menu, select Style, and then choose a suitable style, e.g., tw4winInternal]

Attila

[Edited at 2010-04-22 16:20 GMT]

laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
thank you very much Apr 23, 2010

Hi Attila,

thank you very much for your reply!!

Have a great day.

Regards,

Laura

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formula for selecting portions of text in a complex Word document

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search