Urgent help: How to copy the images in pdf files to Word doc and translate the text inside?
Thread poster: fidaa2007

fidaa2007
Jordan
Local time: 16:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 29, 2010

Hi,
I've a problem and I need your advice.
I'm translating a pdf file in which there is an image and a text inside it. I've copied it to the Word file but the image background turned into black and I'm unable to translate the text while the client insists on having the same exact format of the source to the smallest details.
Any suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance,
Fidaa

[Edited at 2010-03-29 18:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-03-29 18:54 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote Turn social sharing on.
Like 6

David Eunice  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:29
Japanese to English
Use the snapshot function Mar 29, 2010

fidaa2007 wrote:
How to copy the images in pdf files to Word doc and translate the text inside?

It's easy when you know how.

Zoom the pdf until the text is readable.
Use the snapshot function (an icon that looks like a camera with a broken line around it)
You just mouse a rectangle around the target (no need for Control-C), then Control-V into Word.

If you can't find the snapshot icon, look for it under View, Toolbars, More Tools or elsewhere.

And you can snapshot item by item,
which is often useful to the layout person.

Don't forget to ask for payment for all this prep work.

Like 18

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
David is right but... Mar 29, 2010

that will only get you half way there. You still have to translate the text inside the image. Can't be done, I'm afraid...not to my knowledge anyway. What you have is an image and they can't be messed with. The only way I know how is to put a text box over the image and put the translation in there. Of course, if the image is a table or a graph you'd get a better result redoing it completely either in word or Powerpoint. But for anything more complex I'd suggest copying and pasting the image and putting the translation underneath, if that's possible.

But definitely negotiate the extra work with your client.

Good luck!

Like 12

claude
Thailand
Local time: 15:29
English to French
easier in powerpoint Mar 30, 2010

david, what you described works only in last version of acrobat reader but it is the camera icon anyway. After, I recommend using Powerpoint as you have more functions, and in any case there is problem copying the image in Word, save it as a TIIF or JPEG from Powerpoint and reinsert it in Word.

Like 18

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
Do remind the client... Mar 30, 2010

...that you are a translator not a software engineer. Cutting and pasting the pdf image into a word document is very easy, but it cannot then be edited. If I could edit it I would happily but as I can't, I always put a glossary underneath the image.

Like 3

Frances Leggett  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:29
Italian to English
+ ...
Bilingual table Mar 30, 2010

Similar to other suggestions, but I usually put a table underneath the image or on the next page wiht the source text and target translation. If you are working with an agency, the agency should probably prepare the table for you so that you can simply add the translation, although this is not always the case

Like 5

Japan
Japanese to English
Word text boxes for text replacement? Mar 30, 2010

patyjs wrote:
You still have to translate the text inside the image.

Well, you don't have to translate it inside the image,
only inside your head.

I thought the problem was illegible text.

Fidaa said
image background turned into black and I'm unable to translate the text

Having read the message again, I can see that the request was
probably for text replacement, "overtyping" as some of my
clients call it.

claude added:
After, I recommend using Powerpoint

I would be interested to know why claude thinks
Powerpoint is better than using text boxes in Word?
To me it seems like another layer of complication,
but maybe there are advantages I've never considered.

I usually make a single text box, formatted according
to the demands of the graphic, and then multiply copy
it.
If it's a text replacement job, sometimes the underlying text
has to be removed, (clone tool in PaintshopPro works well).
Other times you can roughly match the textbox fill to the
underlying colour and block out the underlying text.

I charge quite a lot for reproducing figures and pages.

Often when I get pdfs and I am not being paid for reproducing
labelled graphical material, I will chop all the bits out and put
them into Word. Then I can translate near the source and the
person dealing with layout can immediately see what matches
what.

Finally, if you can't use the snapshot function, you can always take
a screenshot and trim the graphic in an app (for quick and dirty,
I prefer PaintshopPro over Photoshop).

[Edited at 2010-03-30 13:11 GMT]

Like 4

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Try this with Adobe... Mar 30, 2010

Open the file in Acrobat Reader and go to Document/Security/Security Properties (or sth. like this, I have Hungarian version) and check that Adding Comments is enabled, or not. If not, ask the client to enable it - or continue in Adobe Acrobat.

If yes, go to tools/Comments and Markups/and select Text box tool from the drop-down menu. Then left click near the source text, drag a text box, and type the target text. By clicking on the text box frame you can change the size of the text box to cover the whole source text, and can put the frame to the right place with the Arrow tool.

For Adobe, your „target text" is a „comment”, which is red by default. Select the target text and press CTRL+E, so you can change the colour, size etc. of the text. Select the frame and press CTRL+E to change the properties (for example, colour) of the frame.

Sorry, I am afraid you cannot save the changes in Adobe Reader, just in Adobe Acrobat 9. If you can work with the latter and want to insert the file into a Word document, „Save as” "Microsoft Word Document".

Hope this helps.

[Módosítva: 2010-03-30 13:21 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2010-03-30 15:57 GMT]

Like 8

claude
Thailand
English to French
Powerpoint vs Word Mar 30, 2010

Actually I don't use Word for this for a long time, so I had a look and actually you have pretty much the same functions as Powerpoint. Though I did not find the function for rotating a text, which is important for some graphs.

Except from that, the main reason for me is that I create a fixed image file (jpeg or tiff) from Powerpoint. I am 100 % sure the client sees the same as me (I am not 100% confident with text/image boxes in Word, e.g. the client migh not see exactly the same layout as me (images can move on the next page due to default printer parameters on different computers and image can show on different page as planned, I had this with OCR files). Furthermore it is visible in all the display modes.

Like 14

fidaa2007
Jordan
Local time: 16:29
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The image is copied but the problem remained in the text translation Mar 30, 2010

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I've used the snapshot function suggested by David and it worked well but the problem is in the text translation. I've used the text box and put the translation inside but the client asked me to take the border off of the text box to that it looks like the original.
Is there anyway to take the botake the border off of the text box and keeping on the translation?
Any suggestions, please?

Like 16

patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Easy to do. Mar 30, 2010

Once you have the text box, click on the outside edge...you'll get the cross which means you can move it. Right click and go to "format text box" or something like that. Under the colors and lines tab you can format the lines to be without colour.
That's all there is to it.
paty

Like 7

Japan
Japanese to English
Screenshots are a good idea! Apr 1, 2010

claude wrote:
Though I did not find the function for rotating a text, which is important for some graphs.

I have it in MS-Word 2007. After you insert a TB, a text box tools tab/button appears.
Cilck on that and rotate text appears top left. Three...... clicks
to make it align properly for a left y-axis.

claude added:
Except from that, the main reason for me is that I create a fixed image file (jpeg or tiff) from Powerpoint.

Yes, this is very good point._
It's a good idea to get a fixed image as evidence.
I doubt the locational stability of objects in Word,
especially between different versions of MS-Word.

To fidaa2007
patyjz already filled you in.
You have my sympathy, clicking the edge _ _ of those TBs can be tricky.
And once you get to format textbox, borders,
"no colour" is not the most intuitive way of selecting 'no border'.

Like 12

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Urgent help: How to copy the images in pdf files to Word doc and translate the text inside?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search