Help: Pasting massive amounts of information in Word 2007
Thread poster: David Jessop

David Jessop  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2010

Hello colleagues,

I consider myself an intermediate Word 2007 user but perhaps one of the masters could help me out with this quandryicon_smile.gif.

I recently collaborated with two other translators on an approximately 200 page document. Now I have work from all three of us and I need to paste/insert everything into the same document. Is there any smarter way to do this than to literally select the 65 pages of text from each person, copy and paste it into one of the three documents to join everything?

It seems like there should be a feature where you just say, OK select p. 1-65 of document A and paste it into page 1-65 of document B, etc.

Any tips from the Office experts?

Thanks!

Best,
David

David Eunice  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:03
Japanese to English
Downloadable macro Apr 16, 2010

David Jessop wrote:
I consider myself an intermediate Word 2007 user but perhaps one of the masters could help me out with this quandryicon_smile.gif.

With just two documents to paste into the first opened document,
it's hard to see what the problem is...

In source document Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C,
place cursor desired location in target document Ctrl-V.
Repeat for remaining source document.

But if you have a more than about five documents you can save
time and be less fearful of mistakes with Boiler,
a macro that will let you select files you want to concatenate
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

[Edited at 2010-04-16 12:52 GMT]

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:03
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Not massive amount at all Apr 16, 2010

If you wanted to paste 10,000 pages or more, you could run into problems. Pasting 80 pages is never an issue (unless they contain many images, charts etc.)
You just have to find a smart way to select the text. If each document only contains what you need, just use ctrl-a as David suggested. To select the last X pages of a document, place your cursor at the start of the section you need and press ctrl-shift-end. To select the first X pages, use ctrl-shift-home. Then ctrl-c, ctrl-v as usual.

mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 17:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't Word 2007 have the 'Insert - File' option? Apr 16, 2010

In Word 2000 it's easy: go to the very end of Part 1.doc, select the menu option 'Insert - File', select Part2.doc and wait about 10 ms while the whole of Part2.doc appears at the end of Part1.doc. Repeat ad nauseam - or until job finished.

I don't use Word 2007, but I cannot imagine that the option doesn't exist...

MediaMatrix

Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 21:03
Member (2006)
Slovenian to German
+ ...
Nothing easier than that Apr 17, 2010

Open your document in Word 2007, put the cursor, where you want to insert the text of your first document, click on tab on the bar on "Insert", then click on "Object" (its on the right side), and there the 2nd option "Text from file" . A window opens where you can search/choose the file you want to insert. After you have decided, which document you want to insert, click on the file, and in the same window on the button "Insert" (below). Word will now insert all pages of your chosen file and preserve all formatting. Save the document and repeat these steps for the other documents.

One hint: As Word 2007 is very slowly when he has to handle tables, be patient - it takes some time, but he will be able to do it after word has finished its homework.

By the way, you may use these feature as well to insert Excel files, Access files, PowerPoint, simple text or to embed pdf.

David Eunice  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:03
Japanese to English
Not working for me Apr 17, 2010

Tjasa Kuerpick wrote:
Open your document in Word 2007, put the cursor, where you want to insert the text of your first document, click on tab on the bar on "Insert", then click on "Object" (its on the right side), and there the 2nd option "Text from file" .

Thanks for the detailed instructions Tjasa.

I can find an Insert/Object icon (bottom of three icons next to Insert/Symbols)
But there is no option to insert only text from objects.
Maybe it was hijacked by the Boiler macro?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help: Pasting massive amounts of information in Word 2007

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search