WORD XP: Selecting and formatting table across several pages
Thread poster: Tony M

Tony M
France
Local time: 15:44
French to English
+ ...
Apr 24, 2010

I am using MS Word (Office XP), and I have a largish table that extends over several pages of my document. All I want to do is to make global changes (column widths, font, alignment, etc.) over the whole table (or whole columns in it). However, when I try and select anything, it always stops at the page boundaries (I'm using hard page breaks, is that the problem?)

Is there any way of forcing it to behave as the single table it in fact is?

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:44
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use the Ctrl key Apr 24, 2010

You can select across the page breaks by holding down the Ctrl key and make the selection with the cursor. This can be rather arduous if the document is many pages long and you have to scroll through it to perform the selection. The best is probably to delete the page breaks, do whatever formatting is needed and then reinsert the breaks.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:44
Member (2004)
English to Polish
One table or several tables? Apr 24, 2010

Which version of Word?

It depends whether it is really a single table or several tables... If you use hard page breaks, then it is not one table anymore.

One solution might be to use macro language, but you have to have some idea about it, otherwise it would be too time-consuming.

Another is to remove (find and replace) all hard breaks (and possibly spaces before and/or after) so that it is a single table, format and then break it again.

[Edited at 2010-04-24 10:13 GMT]

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 07:44
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
One more thing Apr 24, 2010

In addition to deleting all page breaks, go into 'table properties - rows' and make sure that 'allow row to break across pages' is checked. Then you should end up with one whole table.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WORD XP: Selecting and formatting table across several pages

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search