Word Count Differences in Word document
Thread poster: Umang Dholabhai

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:47
English to Gujarati
+ ...
Jul 2, 2010

In a Word file the indicated word count is 5700 whereas the word count indicated by Across (CAT) is 7007. What could be the possible reasons? The difference is quite wide which makes me wonder. I counted with the help of ANYCOUNT too, which was closer to the former.

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:17
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Try something else Jul 2, 2010

Careful with Word count... I did not check with Word 2007, but Word 2003 did for example not count text boxes and similar.

I have been using CompleteWordCount from Shauna Kelly (http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/index.html) for years because of this. Try it out (it's free), I can assure you that it's quite accurate.

Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:17
Danish to English
embedded spreadsheets? Jul 3, 2010

I recently did a large translation. It was a Word document with numerous embedded Excel spreadsheets. I realized, too late, that none of the words in the spreadsheets, all of which I had translated, were included in the word count that comes from Word/properties. So I had done a lot of work that I did not get paid for.
My policy now is to demand to see any word document that contains tables or spreadsheets before committing to a price. A rate per word is just a starting point.
Also, translating plain flowing text, that I normally do with speech recognition, is a lot, lot faster than translating words in text boxes or spreadsheets. So word count is only part of the picture, but it is that much worse if not even the word count can be relied on.

Umang Dholabhai  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:47
English to Gujarati
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Seemingly without embedded objects or spreadsheets Jul 3, 2010

Thanks Ramon for the link, I have downloaded it though it does not seem to work in the 2007 version (maybe I am installing it in the wrong way).

It was a Word document with numerous embedded Excel spreadsheets.

Brian, I was left wondering in the first place because this particular file does not seem have a single embedded object. No spreadsheet, no tables. I even tried to [copy all] in a fresh document to no avail. The CAT obstinately indicates the higher count. Usually the differences between the CAT count and the Word default counts are not so extensive to set the alarm bells ringing as in this case.

[Edited at 2010-07-03 07:20 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
CompleteWordCount Jul 3, 2010

Umang Dholabhai wrote:
In a Word file the indicated word count is 5700 whereas the word count indicated by Across (CAT) is 7007.

Install CompleteWordCount in Microsoft Word (it is a macro). It counts additional things like headers, text boxes etc. It does not count embedded objects. See if there are extra things being counted.

Added: I forgot the URL: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/CompleteWordCount/

[Edited at 2010-07-03 08:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word Count Differences in Word document

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search