Best way to translate with PDF files and other PDF issues
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 13:11
English to French
Jul 8, 2010

Hello,

What is the best way to set up my Windows desktop to translate PDF files using CAT tools line by line?

Do you just split windows or do you import the PDF file into Trados or MetaTexis for example?

I am curious about your methods...

Also do you often use online free tools to convert PDF>Word and Word>PDF? Most of the time they limit thze upload to a small size (1 mb?) and sometimes I get buig PDF..So I guess buting Adobe Acrobat Reader (full version) would be a good investment? Is there any other way to convert big sized PDF into Word documents (with good layout)?

(alternate question: how can I count words in PDF if I can't convert the PDF to Word?)

[Edited at 2010-07-08 10:34 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
There is no single best method Jul 8, 2010

Each PDF file is different, and I often try different methods for the same files to see which one works best in that particular cases. The methods I use are: Abbyy Fine Reader (normally in manual mode), Adobe Acrobat - copying and pasting into Word for further editing, sometimes saving as HTML/RTF and adjusting in Word, and recently I've found Nitro PDF Professional does the best job of all converting PDF to Word (but again - not always). Of course, most of those methods apply to PDF's that contain text as text and not as images.

Donata Gumiero  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
German to Italian
+ ...
Abbyy Fine Reader Jul 8, 2010

Dear Alexandre,

I normally use a software called Abbyy Fine Reader to transform Pdfs into Word documents and it generally works fine, that is, if there are a lot of tables in your document you have to do some editing before beginning with your translation.

Abbyy Fine Reader is not a free tool, you have to buy it, but I'm quite satisfied with the end result. Then, I translate my word document using a CAT, like Trados or Wordfast.

I also have Adobe Professional, but there are a lot of free tools that give you the possibility to transform your word doc into a pdf file.

On the contrary, from pdf to doc it's better to use a professional tool, like the above indicated one.

I hope, this can help you decide...:-)

Donata

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Similar Topics Jul 8, 2010

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/98230-best_pdf_to_word_converter.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/172462-pdf_to_word_converter.html

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hire typist Jul 8, 2010

I'm a big fan of hiring a professional typist. Pay her 15-25% of your per-word translation rate.

Mohammad Renaldi Diponegoro  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:11
Member (2010)
English to Indonesian
OCR is good Jul 8, 2010

I think its best to go with OCR (Optical Character Recognition) softwares such as Scansoft OmniPro.

This is the case if the PDF file is mainly text. If the file is mainly drawings/pictures, there are no best way to convert them to Word than to retype all the sentences.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
About Wordcount and "AnyCount" shareware Jul 8, 2010

Hello,

Do you know any freeware similar to "AnyCount"? It is really a great piece of software for counting words in multiple files in one click, but I don't wish to pay 50 euros for this tool.
Sometimes I have many Word files (more than 10) and I need to know the exact
Any idea?

I found TexTally, but it is a bit different...

NMR (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
The best method is the quickest one Jul 8, 2010

I try not to spend too much time on it. If the text is readable, I do some copy & paste, or use Wordfast in order to create a source file, and then proceed with my CAT. If it isn't readable, but I don't have a lot of them, you can use OCR. Please note that some printers (those which are multifunction) come with their own OCR-software.

But if this takes too much time, I just split the screen and open the PDF on the left side and a Word file on the right side and translate what I see (I have a very big screen on a laptop, so in fact two screens).

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Much ado about nothing... Jul 8, 2010

I usually do not bother with PDF files, as they are a welcome change after too much CAT use.

As NMR said, I open a window on the left (for the source) and another on the right (for my translation. And the rest is silence.

Conclusion: there is no best way to do anything, not even translating - ever tried to translate a file by beginning with... the last page?

icon_biggrin.gif

So far, so good.

PS: FineCount is a free software which does quite the same job as AnyCount.

Claudia Cherici  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
but... Jul 9, 2010

...isnt it possible to import pdf files as they are to Trados Studio, work them in tageditor, and then clean them and re-export them as pdf files??

Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
PDF filter Jul 9, 2010

Claudia Cherici wrote:

...isnt it possible to import pdf files as they are to Trados Studio, work them in tageditor, and then clean them and re-export them as pdf files??

Studio has a PDF filter, but this feature cannot work miracles. It will for example not import files which are nominally in PDF format, but in fact consist of scanned contents packed in a PDF (see Adam's post above).

Furthermore and according to what I have heard from colleagues using Studio, the PDF filter produces somewhat garbled text files.

Once again, PDF was meant to offer secured, nearly "locked" files with little or no modification possibilities. Insisting that PDF's should be fully editable is akin to ask for blood from a stone.

[Edited at 2010-07-09 13:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to translate with PDF files and other PDF issues

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search