Text in box in Word 2000 jumps onto new page
Thread poster: Andrew Stucken

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
German to English
Jul 14, 2010

I am having a formatting problem with a text box in Word 2000.

I am typing into a template (not created by me) which consists of a text box containing various sections.

The problem is that at a certain point in one of the boxes the entire are of text simply jumps onto a new page. The borders of the box go with so I am getting a half-blank page on screen, below the point where this formatting problem happens.

The strange thing is that I have used the same template several times before without this problem being triggered.

The only possible reason I can see is that I pasted a URL which took up the whole with of the page and set full justification (possibly not in that order). I have since deleted the link but the problem keeps recurring.

Does anyone know a solution, please?

TIA

Andrew

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:20
French to English
+ ...
Seems stupidly obvious, but... Jul 14, 2010

...could it just be that the text box gets too big to fit on the page, and so, as it can't split, it simply 'jumps' whole to a new page?

Is the new text longer than the original? Are there any spare, unwanted line returns at the end that could be deleted?

I've had this problem with graphics, where an image no longer fitted on the page because of added text, so it umped to the next page, but clashed there with other 'anchored' graphics, causing merry havoc with the formatting! I had to cheat like mad to make it all fit again and go back to normal.

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
Member (2008)
French to English
Some ideas Jul 14, 2010

You could shrink the bottom margin of the page to make room for the larger text box. You also don't need the hyperlink to be fully visible - if you select it and hit Ctrl-K you can specify what the displayed text is. Another solution is to create another text box on the second page and link the two - then text will "spill" from the first text box to the second without changing the dimensions of the first. If the attribute "Resize Autoshape to fit text" is unchecked (Format Text Box > Text Box Tab > Resize Autoshape to fit text), the text box shouldn't change size and you will have more control over it.

[Edited at 2010-07-14 17:51 GMT]

Andrew Stucken
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Looking for way to access this attribute Jul 15, 2010

Thanks for your help, gentlemen.

i don't think it is a question of too much text, as up to now it has simply spilled over onto a new page whenever required, without problems.

I would like to try the suggestion to uncheck the 'Resize Autoshape to fit Text' but cannot see how to do this form the Format menu in Word 2000 - or am I looking in the wrong place, please?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text in box in Word 2000 jumps onto new page

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €495 / $595
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €495 / $595 / £425 / ¥70,000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search