https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/176614-problem_with_footnotes_in_office_2003.html

Problem with footnotes in Office 2003
Thread poster: Debora Villa
Debora Villa
Debora Villa
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2010

Hi there,

I would be so very grateful for any help you could offer. I am in the middle of a very long project that I am delivering tomorrow and Office 2003 is playing up.

The project requires me to insert footnotes. I have done this with no problems at all so far. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, I can no longer add footnotes (if I try, I do get the number next the word I am adding a footnote to, but the cursor does not go to the bottom of the page for me to a
... See more
Hi there,

I would be so very grateful for any help you could offer. I am in the middle of a very long project that I am delivering tomorrow and Office 2003 is playing up.

The project requires me to insert footnotes. I have done this with no problems at all so far. Unfortunately, for some unknown reason, I can no longer add footnotes (if I try, I do get the number next the word I am adding a footnote to, but the cursor does not go to the bottom of the page for me to actually add the footnote text).

Furthermore, in the second part of the document (large document, about 70 pages), whilst I can see the footnote numbers next to the word I have added a footnote to, I can no longer see the text at the bottom of the page (I do, however, see the footnote text if I point the mouse at the footnote number).

Can anyone help? Any idea on how to fix this problem? I cannot complete the job without adding the remaining footnotes and I am starting to panic 

TIA
Collapse

Nellya Dyshlovaya
Nellya Dyshlovaya  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:28
English to Russian
Try another 'View" option Jul 29, 2010

Hello,

Unfortunately I have 2007 version of Word (and, therefore, do not remeber exactly) but the 'View' tab was in 2003 version and it must have an option called 'Draft view' (I think?). Try double-clicking onto a number of a footnote next to the word in this view - it will take you to the footnote itself and must show the text in it.

I'm not sure what to do if this doesn't work - check your style settings for the footnotes. There are several options: somehow the defau
... See more
Hello,

Unfortunately I have 2007 version of Word (and, therefore, do not remeber exactly) but the 'View' tab was in 2003 version and it must have an option called 'Draft view' (I think?). Try double-clicking onto a number of a footnote next to the word in this view - it will take you to the footnote itself and must show the text in it.

I'm not sure what to do if this doesn't work - check your style settings for the footnotes. There are several options: somehow the default text colour changed into white; or in paragraph properties there maybe a tick against lines 2-4 on the 2nd tab. If this all is correct, then sorry, I can't think of anything else.

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with footnotes in Office 2003

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »