Macro to count words in specific language within a document
Thread poster: Luisa Ramos, CT

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Aug 10, 2010

I have a large document to translate. There are many, many scientific names in Latin which must remain in Latin. I need to adjust the word count accordingly.

Does anyone have a macro to extract the terms in Latin or count the words in Latin? I believe it can be done but, for the life of me, I cannot find the information. I know there are many colleagues that write their own macros; maybe some can help.

Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:01
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Find and replace Aug 10, 2010

No macro is needed...

Just use Find/Formatting/Language: whatever-is-not-Latin and Replace with nothing (on a copy, of course!). What is left is Latin.

Of course, this works assuming that the Latin words are actually formatted as such and that there are only two languages present (if there are more, just replace Latin with nothing and subtract from the total wordcount).

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
That's it!!! Aug 10, 2010

This is what I was trying to recall. I knew it could be done, and, I have done it, I just could not remember the procedure.

Thanks a lot!

(You can go to bed now, you just did your good deed of the day.)

[Edited at 2010-08-10 23:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Macro to count words in specific language within a document

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search