Thread poster: Andreas THEODOROU

Andreas THEODOROU  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:56
Greek to English
+ ...
Aug 22, 2010

Hello all

Once again, Word’s so-called intelligent behaviour is proving to be more of a hindrance than a help.

My aim is in theory quite simple:
I want to continue using the French keyboard layout (AZERTY) and be able to enter Spanish characters (accented vowels etc).

This seems impossible in Word 2007.

I thought about a solution using Auto-Correct, where for example
"a-" is corrected to "á"
"i-" is corrected to "í"

In Word, Auto-Correct entries are necessarily attached to a particular language (even though this is not at all apparent from the entry window).

So I Set Language to English for the entire document before entering my Auto-Correct entries.

The problem is that Word auto-detects the language as I am typing so when it detects that the text is in Spanish (i.e. not English), the Auto-Correct entries are not applied.

I've had a good look but cannot find a way to swtich off auto-detection of languages so I assume that this is not an option.

Anyone have any ideas?

Andreas

[Edited at 2010-08-22 11:07 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
ALT keys or "caractères spéciaux" ? Aug 22, 2010

Maybe I have misunderstood and admittedly I don't yet have Word 2007 but I can type in the odd "foreign" letter using either the ALT codes or by going into "Insertion" and then "caractères spéciaux". I presume that since you have AZERTY, you also have commands in French ?

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Andreas Aug 22, 2010

The best thing is turning off language auto-detection in Word and assign language manually.

Simply assign keyboard shorcuts to necessary symbols or letters. Here is a webpage explaining how to do it:
http://tortoiseshell.net/coffeebreak/blog/index.php/119/how-to-assign-a-shortcut-key-to-a-symbol-in-word-2007.html

Hope this helps,
Natalia

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
clavier+ Aug 22, 2010

You may use that small app to assign keyboard shortcuts to specific characters.
I don't think you need to deactivate the language auto-recognition (which can be useful!)

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/Clavier.shtml

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:56
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Word Macro Aug 22, 2010

Aude Sylvain wrote:

I don't think you need to deactivate the language auto-recognition (which can be useful!)

This is also easy to use Word Macro + its keyboard shortcut for a quick assigment.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
found it Aug 22, 2010

I replied earlier but don't know where my reply has gone.

I found the Language AutoDetect so swtiched it off - now I can enter Spanish characters.

The snag is that I have to enter a space then the shortcut (eg "a-"), then go back and delete the extra space (all this because AutoCrrect entries are considered to be words).

Spain
Greek to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Aug 22, 2010

The solution with the shortcut assignment is perfect!!!

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
@Soonthon Aug 22, 2010

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

Aude Sylvain wrote:

This is also easy to use Word Macro + its keyboard shortcut for a quick assigment.

Best regards,

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Hi Soonthon,

You're absolutely right!

I had forgotten that the asker was only concerned with MS Word.
Clavier+'s great aspect is that the keyboard shortcuts would work in any other application (e.g. standalone CAT tools. This saves me a *lot* of time in WFP for instance, no need to use the characters table any more to type É, À, french quotes « etc.).

And as far as MS Word is concerned, I believe that Clavier+ can be used while not turning-off the language auto-recognition feature - and I do find the feature is useful sometimes, but that's very personal...

[Edited at 2010-08-22 16:54 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to enter Spanish characters on a French keyboard? [resolved]

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search