Thread poster: ibz

ibz  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:06
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Aug 26, 2010

Dear all,

I have a 15-page Word document that I would like to print. On screen, everything seems ok, but on the printed document, the text does not fit the page. Also, whenever I try to adjust the margins, this stupid program (sorry) tells me that the lower margin must be 13.74 cm! I did choose page format DINA4, tried copying the whole document in a new file ... all to no availicon_frown.gif

Your help is very appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Irene

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
In similar situations Aug 26, 2010

I use OpenOffice.org, there adjusting page margins is never a problem. However, you formatting may suffer because OOo is not absolutely compatible with MSO formats. Well, give a try anyway (don’t forget to make a backup copy).

[Edited at 2010-08-26 14:39 GMT]

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:06
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Printer? Aug 26, 2010

Could it be a printer problem? Perhaps you have set the printer driver to print on smaller paper and Word is warning you about that.
Oliver

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but ... Aug 26, 2010

@esperantisto
The document is highly formated so OpenOffice is no alternative, I'm afraid.

@Oliver
The printer works ok - I have no problem with any other document.

I'm really at a loss here ... I even tried to save the document in PDF but this doesn't work either icon_confused.gif

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Might be worth checking... Aug 26, 2010

I have noted odd behaviour of various kinds with Word (due apparently to stray codes left in the text); when you select your 'page set up', instead of relying it to 'apply to whole of document', I always 'select all' first, before going to 'page set up'.

Also, note that you may need to select the right paper size in both page set up and printer properties.

In my Word, it tells me I can't print right to the edge of the page and my bottom margin needs adjusting, but it will let me ignore that warning and go ahead anyway... icon_wink.gif

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tony Aug 26, 2010

Thank you!
I checked all but Word seems to have a mind of its own ...
I can ignore the warning and go ahead, but then Word ignores ME and does what it wants anyway. I can tell you that this program is starting to drive me crazy.

Any more hints, please? Whoever can solve this problem until tomorrow will receive a box of Swiss chocolateicon_wink.gif

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a few ideas Aug 26, 2010

[What is the source? Isn't it OCR of pdf export?]

How many sections are there in the documents and what will happen if you delete all section breaks before setting the page layout?

If there are more sections and leaving them all "as-is" is really important, you can try to set up the page in each section separately.

Try to save as rtf, close the word and open the rtf.

Antonin

RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:06
English to Japanese
+ ...
Is a template attached to this document? Aug 26, 2010

Hi!

Margin settings are stored in the template, and so the common solutions are to a) delete the normal.dot (with the Word app closed) and restart the Word, and b) check the template settings (Tools > Templates and Add-Ins) to see if there is any phony/ghost template attached to this document and reset/reassign. Before you tackle template settings, I recommend that you make a copy of the original document and store somewhere, because, depending on other format/option settings, re-assigning a template could cause a significant change in styles.

If none of them work, then you might have to repair the Word with "default settings restored" option selected..... sigh.....

Good luck!

Rie

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:06
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Manually Aug 26, 2010

Well, instead of using the page setup diallog, make the vertical ruler visible and adjust the margin by manually dragging the edge of the grey area in the bottom. Sometimes works.

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@all Aug 27, 2010

Dear all,

I tried all of your tricks but with no success yet. I think that some of the pages in this document were converted from scanned documents and that this is the problem. So I might end up typing the whole thing again unless someone comes up with an absolutely innovative solution - I'm all earsicon_smile.gif

Many thanks,
Irene

Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
Converted scans Aug 27, 2010

Well, if that is the case, then it's not surprising — I've had masses of problems with that!

Basically, some OCR programmes try to be SO clever in attempting to maintain the original page layout, they put in all sorts of paragraph spacing, column breaks, sections breaks, etc. etc.

Before resorting to retyping, you could just try two ideas that would only inlvolve you in re-formatting:

1) Use the 'erase all formatting' feature under 'styles' to simplify everything and get rid of all the weird extras — of course, you'll still be left with the major task of reformatting your pages, but if you go about it systemaically, it shouldn't be too much of a headache.

2) If THAT doesn't work, then consider simply saving it as a .txt file — this WILL strip out ALL formatting! You can then open it again, re-save as .doc, and se about the painstaking task of putting back all the formatting you've lost.

Not fun, but still less work that actually re-typing!

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tony Aug 27, 2010

Thank you, I'll give it another try and let you know if this works!

I really hate programmes that try to be more clever than me, doing all sorts of funny things. This always makes me feel as if I were on Candid Camera and someone was having a good laugh watching me struggling icon_eek.gif

ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tony Aug 27, 2010

Your suggestion no. 2 finally did the trick. Thank you so much! If you let me have your address, I'll send you the promised chocolateicon_biggrin.gif

Irene

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with page settings in Word

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search