Conversion has made file uneditable
Thread poster: quincey

quincey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 11, 2010

A file was sent to me that had been created in .docx format. I use Word 2003 and when the file was converted it became uneditable.

Is there any way to make the file editable? I have tried saving it in a number of different formats to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Fedja Imamovic
Croatia
Local time: 07:40
Croatian to English
+ ...
Answer Sep 11, 2010

stephen mewes wrote:

A file was sent to me that had been created in .docx format. I use Word 2003 and when the file was converted it became uneditable.

Is there any way to make the file editable? I have tried saving it in a number of different formats to no avail.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Maybe you should try to send the original file to someone who does have MS Word 2007. Then, the person who opens the file can convert it in Word by choosing the Save as MS Word 2003 file, and your problem will be solved.
I could help you out if you like, and if you're willing to send the file, in case it's not something confidential.

[Edited at 2010-09-11 14:35 GMT]

quincey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem now resolved Sep 11, 2010

Actually in the end the solution was very simple. The document had been protected and all I had to do was to go to Tools and Unprotect document!

Thanks for your help in any case.

Steve

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:40
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
If you really get the problem... Sep 12, 2010

You may want to download and install the converter from this URL.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=941B3470-3AE9-4AEE-8F43-C6BB74CD1466&displaylang=en

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conversion has made file uneditable

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search