spellchecker
Thread poster: Michael Wetzel

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
German to English
Sep 15, 2010

Hello,
I work with MS Word 2010 (Germany) and would like some tips regarding the spellchecker.

(1) Is it possible to reliably check UK spelling with MS Word? Both Oxford and -ise Spelling are accepted when checking with "English (UK)". Is there a good solution to this problem = way to specifically select one or the other? (Please note: I am not interested in using OpenOffice, if that is necessary for Hunspell and Myspell.)

(2) It is easy to add words to the dictionary list, but I cannot find a way to remove words from the main dictionary. There are directions for blacklisting words, but they don't seem to work... I would like to be able to remove words from the MS Word list whenever I recognize that they do not correspond to my paper dictionaries and also to be able to have certain typographical features marked as errors (double quotation marks, em-dashes etc. marked as incorrect when working in enGB and vice versa).

I am willing to invest a fair amount of time in the project in the interest of having a really first-rate and style-true series of dictionaries at some point in the next few years.

Possible solutions:
- Is it possible to open the MS Word main dictionary file?
- And what about other commercial products like Oxford spellchecker? As far as I know, this product got ripped apart just as much as its Duden counterpart as incredibly slow, hard to use, and not even very accurate.

Any suggestions?

Michael

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

spellchecker

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search