Thread poster: Joris Bogaert

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:38
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 17, 2010

Hello,

I have 7 big word files (.doc) to translate, but only some sentences need to be translated (the rest is already in the target language). The client does not have an extract of the text, as the client inserted the new English sentences between the lines of the previous manual.

Is there any macro or other way to extract the English text (to one to be translated) and/or to ignore the previous translated text automatically in order to accelerate the translation work process?

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It is possible if the language attributes are correctly set Sep 17, 2010

Word's "Find and replace" function can help if the appropriate language has been set for the text parts. To check this, move the cursor to an English part, and verify what language is set, then do the same for Spanish.

If the language attribute of English text parts is English, and that of Spanish text parts is Spanish, all you need to do is delete everything that is marked as Spanish. (Alternatively, you can also modify the style of Spanish text parts to non-translatable, for example light gray highlight for Wordfast. If you need more guidance in this, let me know.)

To delete Spanish text parts, use the "Find and replace" option. Leave the "Find what" field empty, and click on "More", "Format", "Language" and select "Spanish". Leave the "Replace with" field empty, and do not set any extra properties there. Click on "Change all" and presto, you have removed all Spanish text parts!

Attila

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Probably not Sep 17, 2010

Unless the two languages are differentiated in some way (language properties set like Attila said, or different font type, size, colour etc.) you won't be able to separate them automatically.
You'll have to read the text and skip what you don't have to translate.

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Sep 17, 2010

Thanks Attila, this was exactly what I needed. It worked fine!

Thanks again,
Joris

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:38
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Word 2003: select similar format Sep 18, 2010

Word 2003 was more simple for me in this case. I selected the language to translate. Right click to "Select all/highlight similar formats". Word highlighted all those words. I painted the highlighting color and translated them. [This may fail if it is in the case Attila writes above: no difference in format!].

Advanced Find and Replace Strings in Word can be useful: few people use it, however. Do search on Word Help or Internet search.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract language specific text (english) from a word document

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search