Client-based OCR for word counting purposes
Thread poster: Mohamed A. Moustafa

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 17, 2010

Hello,
I have recently been contacted for a job and the client sent me a scanned PDF file. I told him that in this case I charge on basis of the target text, since I cannot have a word count and/or an accurate estimation. He told me of the word count, arguing that he makes an OCR to give the end client a quote. As such, he provides a PO containing the word count and other details.
How do you think OCR can help with word counting?
Is there a freeware that you recommend?
Thanks for your help!


 

Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:46
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
OCR Sep 17, 2010

OCR software helps converting the pdf files in word documents and the word counting is made in word.

You may download a trial version of ABBYY, which I also recommend, and try to convert the file and count the words. You could also work a little bit on formatting the word document and translate the document as usually, with the help of any CAT Tool etc.

Here is the link where you can download the trial version:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/ABBYY-FineReader-OCR-Professional.shtml


 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
OCR gives you the result as MS Word document. Then the client can very well give you the word file Sep 18, 2010

The client seems to be bluffing. Ask him point blank as to why he cannot in that case give you the file in MS Word.

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Veronica Lupascu wrote:

OCR software helps converting the pdf files in word documents and the word counting is made in word.

You may download a trial version of ABBYY, which I also recommend, and try to convert the file and count the words. You could also work a little bit on formatting the word document and translate the document as usually, with the help of any CAT Tool etc.

Here is the link where you can download the trial version:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Office-tools/Other-Office-Tools/ABBYY-FineReader-OCR-Professional.shtml



 

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe, but Sep 18, 2010

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

The client seems to be bluffing.


I should give him the benefit of doubt. Maybe he cannot send the document in MS Word because the format has been altered or some words do not read correctly.


 

Olaf (X)
Local time: 18:46
English to German
Abbyy does not support Arabic Sep 18, 2010

You may download a trial version of ABBYY, which I also recommend, and try to convert the file and count the words.

Abbyy does not support Arabic and even other OCR programs that do usually have a low recognition rate. If the original is in Arabic, I'd be very skeptical about the results.


 

Mohamed A. Moustafa  Identity Verified
United States
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes Sep 18, 2010

Olaf wrote:

Abbyy does not support Arabic and even other OCR programs that do usually have a low recognition rate. If the original is in Arabic, I'd be very skeptical about the results.


Yes, I've downloaded Abbyy and it works well on the English files, but gives nothing but symbols for the Arabic ones.


 

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:16
English to Tamil
+ ...
The sole idea seems to be the checking of the word count Sep 19, 2010

When the client makes a statement that he got the word count by using OCR, he can at least send you that result.

What does it matter if the format is changed in that case?

Regards,
N. Raghavan

Muhammad Abdulfattah AHMAD wrote:

Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

The client seems to be bluffing.


I should give him the benefit of doubt. Maybe he cannot send the document in MS Word because the format has been altered or some words do not read correctly.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client-based OCR for word counting purposes

Advanced search






TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search