Powerpoint: Export/Count notes, reset spellchecker language?
Thread poster: pk75

pk75
Local time: 13:36
English to German
Sep 22, 2010

Hi,

several issues:

not only have I been forced to translate a truly horrible Powerpoint presentation, but it also was so large and badly made that it crashed the Powerpoint XP on opening.

So I got myself an Office 2007, installed only the Powerpoint from that package (803 MB!), found that I totally despised the useless new Office layout and translated the presentation anyway.

I was asked to only translate the notes, however. (Hopefully they're called notes in the English version of Powerpoint; I only have the German one. I mean these little text boxes you can put underneath the actual charts, and they're not displayed when actually presenting the presentation.)

These notes contained the complete speech that the presenter will be giving while presenting the presentation on an upcoming trade fair.

I failed to find a way to change the spellchecking language for the notes from the original English to German, however.

That is: I failed to find a way to change it for all the note boxes at once. It was possible to change the language for one box at a time, and by putting a language button in the top left corner, it at least went a little more quickly... but is there really no way of changing the spellchecking language for a complete presentation? I've been putting up with a lot of crap from Microsoft in my time but can they really be THAT IGNORANT? I hope it's just me...

Which brings up the next issue - I now would like to write the bill. For that I need the word count of the notes. Is there a way of exporting only the notes to a text file of some kind?

Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Copy/paste the content of each note one by one Sep 22, 2010

Hi,
The only way I know is to copy/paste the content of every "note" (in the French version they called that "commentaire", "comment", which is closer to the real use of this) in a Word doc.

The other solution would have been be to use WordFast, for instance.

I know that PowerPoint is not easy to handle for a translator, even if I love it.
Catherine

pk75
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Found a macro in the powerpoint faq Sep 22, 2010

Looky here:

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00481.htm

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint: Export/Count notes, reset spellchecker language?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search