Thread poster: DPS

DPS
Australia
Local time: 18:37
German to English
+ ...
Sep 23, 2010

Hi everyone,

For the past few days, whenever I open Word, a window has been popping up, reading 'Run-time error '5853': Invalid parameter'. Choices given are clicking on either 'Help' (with Windows Help not containing any information about this error code) or 'End'. If I select the latter, the window disappears and I can go on and use Word without any apparent problems.

Still, there's got to be something wrong. Does anyone know what this message means and how I can find out if there is a problem and if so, what?

Cheers,
Petra

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
A few things you might try Sep 24, 2010

As none of the techno-wizards have picked up on this one, I can only offer my own experience, and suggestions that you might have already tried. I can't tell you exactly what the error message means, but this happened twice on my old set up.

There are the basic "house-work" procedures to try first, which might help:
- clear out all unecessary old files (in My Computer right click on C drive, then Properties, then Disk Cleanup)
- remember to clear out old sent e-mails, which can pile up unseen and choke the works, especially if they have large attached files.
- defragment the hard disk (should be a weekly routine)
- check for viruses and malware
- run a registry checker/cleaner/repairer

At least if your computer is clean and tidy, it's easier (and less embarrassing!) if you have to get someone else to look at it.

Back up everything onto CD or memory stick, once you've checked the files are not infected. You can also try a "system restore" if you have Windows XP, though this embeds firmly any viruses on board - so only do it once you're sure the machine is clean.

The first time this happened, it turned out the computer had been infected by a worm-type virus. Even though I managed to extract it successfully, the worm had corrupted some important files "deep down", which left the whole system limping along painfully. I could still use Word and most other programmes quite normally as long as the files weren't too big, but eventually had to reinstall the Windows operating system and everything else on top.

The second time this happened was just before the hard disk failed. I just hope you'll be spared that!

Good luck!
Alison

DPS
Australia
Local time: 18:37
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Haven't run the registry cleaner yet... Sep 24, 2010

Hi Alison,

Thanks for you tips. Until this morning the window just irritated me mildly whenever I opened Word. Now you got me really worried!

I have done most of the things you've suggested, sans running a registry checker.

If anything, as you quite rightly put it, at least this will save me from the embarrassment of taking my computer to the support guy without having done my homework first!

Thanks,
Petra

Albert Golub  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:37
English to French
related to dot file (Trados template) Sep 24, 2010

see
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/169453-trados_licence_manager_has_stopped_working_2007.html

Don't worry for your computer, it should be ok

Alison Sabedoria  Identity Verified
France
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
I hope Albert is right! Sep 24, 2010

Oh dear! I didn't want to worry you, it's just that my computer was really poorly before I got that message coming up.

If it's CAT-related, it might well be nothing to worry about. Let's hope so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Run-time error '5853': Invalid parameter', when opening Word

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search