Thread poster: Aude Sylvain
Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:35
English to French
+ ...
Oct 7, 2010

Hello,

Further to unfortunate changes I made yesterday in order to (try to) have Trados Studio work with Office 2010, my PC does not recognize the .doc files as Microsoft Word files anymore.

When I open a folder that includes .doc files, the type indicated for these is "DOC File" (in French "Fichier DOC"), and not "Microsoft Word document 2003-2007" anymore.

My .docx files are ok, and the type indicated for them remain "Microsoft Word document"

This means that I cannot open a .doc file by clicking on the icon, I need to open MS Word then use the "open" feature.

Would any of you know how to change the type of the .doc files from "DOC File" to "Microsoft Word document..." ?

I uninstalled then reinstalled Office 2010, but the issue remains.

Thanks in advance,

Aude

[Edited at 2010-10-07 17:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

umcuz  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:35
English to Russian
You need to change properties of the document Oct 8, 2010

Hi,

You need to go to the Explorer, choose such file, then open its properties. In "General" tab there is a line called "Applications" and a button next to it called "Change" (this might be somewhat different as I have the Russian version of Office and Windows and do not remember the names in English). When you click on that button, you'll see the list of different applications, from which you should choose Word, and a box to put a tick in for Word to be used by default for that file type.

Hope, this helps. Cheers,
Nellya.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 8, 2010

Hi Nellya,

Thank you very much. In fact I tried to do that but couldn't locate Word (winword.exe) in my PC. It is not in the Office14 folder! It is very weird...

I installed a demo version of MS Word 2007 and everything went back to normal, "DOC files" are now recognized as "Microsoft Word 2000-2003 documents".

I think I will have to uninstall/reinstall Office 2010 again, so winword.exe appears in the appropriate folder.
I asked the question in the French forum, it appears that winword.exe should be in the "Office14" folder, at (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14). http://www.proz.com/forum/french/182354-type_de_fichier_fichier_doc_non_reconnu_par_ms_word_2010_windows_7.html

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
don't uninstall just for the sake of a tiny problem Oct 8, 2010

Aude, now you find yourself with Office 2010 and demo 2007, why and what for? The colleague explained to you now how the application is added into attributes of a file. Also there, a description can be inserted, whatever one likes, or the one you need.

As it seems that the colleague explained to you the method for Windows XP (I am not sure, but it seemed me so), let me explain about the method in Windows 7: Control Panel - default programs - associate a file type...

This also can be done by giving a right-click onto a file and choosing "open with" and giving another default opening program, although this method is a bit simplified.

Better please don't rush with these complex softwares, learn basics as well.

Dragomir

Aude Sylvain wrote:

Hello,

Further to unfortunate changes I made yesterday in order to (try to) have Trados Studio work with Office 2010, my PC does not recognize the .doc files as Microsoft Word files anymore.

When I open a folder that includes .doc files, the type indicated for these is "DOC File" (in French "Fichier DOC"), and not "Microsoft Word document 2003-2007" anymore.

My .docx files are ok, and the type indicated for them remain "Microsoft Word document"

This means that I cannot open a .doc file by clicking on the icon, I need to open MS Word then use the "open" feature.

Would any of you know how to change the type of the .doc files from "DOC File" to "Microsoft Word document..." ?

I uninstalled then reinstalled Office 2010, but the issue remains.

Thanks in advance,

Aude

[Edited at 2010-10-07 17:45 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 8, 2010

Thanks Dragomir,

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:
Aude, now you find yourself with Office 2010 and demo 2007, why and what for?

Office 2010 did not recognize the *.doc files anymore, and I even had moments yesterday when the shortcut for Word 2010 would not work at all.

Control Panel - default programs - associate a file type...

This also can be done by giving a right-click onto a file and choosing "open with" and giving another default opening program, although this method is a bit simplified.

This is exactly what I've done in fact.
The pb is that I cannot associate the *.doc file type to Word 2010, since I simply can't identify Word 2010. When associating I am requested (quite logically!) to indicate an application - and I do not have any winword.exe in my computer (except the one in Office12 now, corresponding to MS Word 2007).
My "Office14" folder, where winword.exe should be located, only counts a few folders/files, and winword.exe is not one of them...
I made a search on the whole C: drive through the explorator and the result is the same, the only winword.exe it identifies is the one corresponding to the (demo) Office2007 application.

That's why I wonder whether it wouldn't be wiser to reinstall Office 2010.

Dragomir Kovacevic  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Serbian
+ ...
- Oct 8, 2010

Aude Sylvain wrote:

From my experience too, MS Office 2007 uninstalls any previous Office version. So it uninstalled all of what you had of MS Office 2010, that's why its folder is almost empty.

Aude, feel absolutely resolute in installing now MS Office 2010 in order to replace 2007.

D

[Edited at 2010-10-08 08:22 GMT]

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
- Oct 8, 2010

Dragomir Kovacevic wrote:

Aude Sylvain wrote:

From my experience too, MS Office 2007 uninstalls any previous Office version. So it uninstalled all of what you had of MS Office 2010, that's why its folder is almost empty.

Aude, feel absolutely resolute in installing now MS Office 2010 in order to replace 2007.

D

[Edited at 2010-10-08 08:22 GMT]

Ah, that's very interesting! Thank you!

But I still have one question: I can open Office 2010 using the shortcut in the Start menu, and then work with it (although Office 2007's demo is installed and is the app used by default to open *.doc, *.docx, *.xls etc). It means Office 2010 is not uninstalled. That's why I am really puzzled.

Despite this, do you think that everything would be back to the normal state if I uninstall both the Office 2007 demo and Office 2010, then reinstall Office 2010?

Many thanks Dragomir

Peggy Maeyer  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Partitioning your drive Oct 8, 2010

Hi,
Did you install both Office 2007 and 2010 on the same drive? Maybe that's what's causing the problem with not being able to open 2010 via the shortcut and also some of the other problems you describe.

My suggestion: Uninstall both versions, then partition your drive (e.g., drive A:, drive B:), then install e.g. 2007 on drive A: and 2010 on drive B:. Both should work properly then.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you how to partition a drive - I had that done by a computer expert who suggested partitioning the drive when I told him I wanted to work with different Office versions on the same PC.

Hope that helps,
Peggy

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Peggy Oct 8, 2010

Thank you for this information, indeed I installed both versions on the same drive.
Now, I repaired Office 2010 once more and all of a second it re-works, I can launch Word 2010 simply by double-clicking on a *.doc file (or *.docx) as I've always done.
It's really confusing.

Partitioning is a good idea, many thanks. I am not sure it is worth though in my case (I do not know how to do it either and I'm a beginner with Windows) since I only have a demo for Office 2007, which will expire shortly.

I am a Mac user who shifted to Windows only for Trados... I though it would be simpler (em...) to have Windows on another machine (instead of installing a virtual machine on my Mac). Trados works pretty well, the Windows version of Office is definitely better than the Mac version (2010 wasn't released for Mac yet, the Office 2008 for Mac rather correspond to Office 2003 for Windows and is not stable at all), but Windows is SO complicated to handle

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
I'm a complete dunce, but... Oct 8, 2010

I've just got Windows 7 (and I use 'got' in the same sense as 'got a nasty bout of 'flu'!), and I too found lots of files 'missing' — till I realized that its default setting is 'do not show hidden/system files'. Once I found where to check the 'show hidden /system files' box (under Windows Explorer, I think?), loads of 'missing' files suddenly re-appeared magically!

Having said that, I don't think that winword.exe ought to be a hidden file (unless because of the .exe extension?) in the first place...

I'm afraid my windows seem to have the blinds drawn.

France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not hidden! Oct 8, 2010

Hello Tony,

Unfortunately I did tick the "show hidden files" option yesterday (just in case, for colleagues who will read this thread in the future, you can find a tutorial at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial151.html). But unfortunately the Office 2010 winword.exe still doesn't appear!

Our colleague Didier just made an interesting comment on the French thread I created :
http://www.proz.com/forum/french/182354-type_de_fichier_fichier_doc_non_reconnu_par_ms_word_2010_windows_7.html.
Maybe there is simply no winword.exe file for the Windows 7 64 bits / MS Office 10 combination, everything would be virtual. Indeed my Word shortcuts point to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Virtualization Handler\CVH.EXE"

In any case, for any reason, as mentioned in my earlier post all went back to normal when I ran the "repair" process for the 3rd time... I have no idea why it works this time, and not before. Let's say it's Windows' magic side!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.doc files identifed by Windows as "DOC File" and not "Microsoft Word document"

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search