How to do a clean install of Word 2002
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 24, 2004

Since I bought a new pc last may and installed Office 2002 with win2000, Word makes problems. Out of the blue it just freezes the machine, only the of/off switch works. I have installed Word twice, first from a Works CD, then back to the Office version, but it is always the same.
Does it help to do a clean install of Word, and how to proceed? Or is it best to switch to StarOffice?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
Italian to English
+ ...
Reformat etc.. Feb 24, 2004

If uou want a rally clean installation and you don't have too many other things on the computer, back up, reformat and reinstall everything.

If you use the Office CD to uninstall, this is fairly thorough, but still leaves lots of registry entries for office.

The only way to be really sure is to start from scratch.

Star Office should cause no problems, I've been sing both for a long time without any trouble.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This seems not to be a software problem Feb 24, 2004

Word 2002 (also called XP) works indeed very stable with both Win2k and WinXP - I have had it running with Win2k and have it still runnig with Windows XP Pro wit not a problem whatsoever.
Word 2002 (Office 2002) is very stable and does not cause any problems during the installation. The only software solution I can think of is installing the latest service packs for both Windows and Office/Word, what may be a kind of help.

But if you get blue screens, this mostly means hardware problems or at least incompatibility of a driver and hardware. Word hardly causes a blue screen.
So if this is what happens to you or if your PC does really freeze, so that only the power or reset switch do function, you have almost certainly got a hardware problem.
Possibly the settings of your memory are to agressive or the frequency settings are wrong. Possibly the memory chips are ie for FSB 200 and beeing used with FSB 266. Or your CPU or GPU are overcklocked. I would have my PC checked in such case. And don´t believe if you bought it in a shop, that anything MUST be OK! Sometimes even mainboards work with higher frequencies than specified (this is NOT a joke) and cause problems with components. Not any memory chip will go with overclocking and so on.

I would really test the PC on the hardware site. You can find a free testing solution for example here: www.3bsoftware.com/sandra

Kind regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
German to Polish
+ ...
I agree with Jerzy Feb 24, 2004

Word 2002 is a very stable application, but W2K is very well known for its driver compatibilty problems. Various devices have no W2K drivers at all, others try to use NT or XP drivers with not allways satisfactory results.
Do a simply check: go to Control Panel => System => Hardware Manager; rightclick printer, sound card and USB devices; go to Properties and chose the option "Do not use this device". Click OK and restart system.
If this gives no results, try other options, as suggested by Jerzy.
Best regards
Andrzej


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Could be hardware problem, but Feb 24, 2004

Before I had Word 2000 and win98, and that was not stable also. Only word makes the trouble, everything else works without a glich, dvd-viewing, games, other office-applications etc. But I will continue without a new installation, as the problem was there from the beginning. For writing I can use open office. If only Wordfast were available for some other textprogram than word!

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Nedzad Selmanovic
Local time: 10:24
English to Bosnian
+ ...
possible hardware problem Feb 25, 2004

I am 90 % sure that your machine might have a hardware problem rather then software. But, there is probability of 10% left for other type of problem. Prior to formatting of hard drive I would do complete hardware check. Any hard drive formatting does not guarantee that you will succeed to back up all data you want, especially if you scattered the documents around and if you have created more then one partition. If I were you, I would consult a PC technician. I can do it myself, but we do not live close to each other.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
Have a look at MS support website : Feb 26, 2004

http://support.microsoft.com/

Hope you will find some solutions.

Good luck


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Started to install newest drivers Feb 27, 2004

Thank you all for your advice. I installed today the newest version for my graphic card. That could have been the source of the problem, because many people complained about this type 3D GeForce 4. Hope it helps, but only the future will show. Perhaps the monitor driver should be updated next, if necessary, but one change at the time.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Monitor driver is not essential in any way Feb 27, 2004

And does not affect the system that much as a graphics driver.
What might really be your problem, is the lack of right drivers for you motherboard chipset, IDE interface and AGP port.
What kind of motherboard do you use? Was it properly recognised by Windows upon installation?
The right way to install an new pc is to install the OS first and then install ALL drivers from the mainboard manufacturer PRIOR to installing any further drivers, as graphic card or sound device.

On top you should install all Service Packs from Microsoft both for Windows (first, and there are at least 3 SP´s for Win 2k) and then for Office (2 SP´s).

In case of any troubles with getting them please contact my via my profile, so perhaps I´ll be able to help, sending you the necessary links or so...

Kind regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to do a clean install of Word 2002

Advanced search






PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search