Work on Word with the source PDF on screen. How to?
Thread poster: Alejandra Hozikian

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Local time: 03:15
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 16, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

This may look as a very simple question for most of you, however I am unable to find the way to keep the source PDF open to work on the Word file intented to be the final translation.
Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Alejandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:15
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
minimize size of window Dec 16, 2010

If you minimize the window size in both applications you will be to adjust the edges of the windows to see both at the same time.

Another workaround is to minimise all open applications (windows key+M), click on the 2 applications you want to see, right click on the bar at the bottom and click on "show windows in parallel/horizontally" (mostrar ventanas apiladas/en paralelo).

HTH

Martin Dobes  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:15
Hebrew to German
+ ...
Tile Windows Vertically Dec 16, 2010

That's the way it worked for me.
You open both the pdf file and the word file. Then you point to the task bar at the bottom of the screen (presuming that you work in a Microsoft Windows environment), right click and choose "Tile Windows Vertically" (or if you prefer of course horizontally).
Depending on the size of your screen you'll have to adjust the zoom in both windows so that you can see most or all of the document, while still be able to read.
I translated this way a whole PHD dissertation on a lap top.

Hope I could be helpful

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Another solution Dec 16, 2010

You might be able to copy the text from the PDF file to Word and overtype. It won't look ideal, but you won't have to look at two windows all the time. In the PDF application, select View - Single Page Continuous (or similar), then select all (eg. with Ctrl A), copy (Ctrl C) and paste into a blank Word document.

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Work on Word with the source PDF on screen. How to? Dec 16, 2010

Thanks for your responses!! I have tried to click on "compare to parallel" but it is disabled in my bar and I was unable to make it visible. Probably that is why I cannot see them together.

Regards,

Alejandra

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:15
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dual screens ? Dec 16, 2010

Not sure that you will appreciate this help – ask Santa Claus if you can have a PC with two screens. Expensive, but you will work faster and better and recoup the cost.

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Work on Word with the source PDF on screen. How to? Dec 16, 2010

Dear Peter,

Thanks for taking some of your time to respond to my query!

In fact I wanted to see both files on "one" screen. I never mentioned two screens.

I believe this may be possible.

Thanks!

Regards,

Alejandra

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Not working? Dec 16, 2010

Are you saying it's not working?

If the option is greyed out when you right click the bottom task bar, that means you haven't got the applications open.

And have you tried my first suggestion? Click on minimize size (next to the X in the top right-hand corner of the Word/PDF). Now you can drag the window edges to make it bigger or smaller so that you can see both applications at the same time. (Don't forget you can drag a minimised application around by positioning your mouse on the top blue bar and dragging).

Peter is right, dual monitors are a great advantage for viewing multiple applications at the same time.

[Edited at 2010-12-16 19:28 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Print out Dec 16, 2010

I am not sure this is really what you want to know, but I usually print out PDFs.

I know, I know, we have to save the planet, but I use recycled paper, and it goes for recycling yet again. It is finally used as fuel, and is in fact a renewable resource!

The advantage is that I can look up terminology and write pencil notes and drafts in the margins before I start seriously translating. There is no convenient way I can do that on screen.

I have a good holder on an anglepoise spring beside the screen for the printout, and a space on the table beside the keyboard for books, hard-copy dictionaries or extra notes.

Paper is not as hard on the eyes either. You can use an awful lot of it for the same environmental impact as an extra screen, and I think it is more comfortable.

The cartridges on my laser printer are recycled too... and far cheaper than ink-jet...

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 01:15
Spanish to English
My solution Dec 16, 2010

Nowadays I do print out, like Christine, but I have on occasions copied parts of the pdf into the word document, as Adam recommends, a third of a page at a time, and written in the word document underneath.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work on Word with the source PDF on screen. How to?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search