How to number a Word file from the page I need to and not necessary the first one
Thread poster: Alejandra Hozikian

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Local time: 08:53
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 24, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I need your help to know how to insert the page number in a big Word file (400 apges) b ut not necessary as from the first page.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Regards,

Alejandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Sanja Ivelić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 13:53
German to Croatian
+ ...
Page Numbers Dec 24, 2010

Hi Alejandra,

go to: Insert - Page numbers

Disable "Show number on first page" and then click "Format". The window "Page number format" will open.

Here you can choose where the numbering should start, i.e. where you want.

I hope this helps.
Merry Christmas
Sanja

[Edited at 2010-12-24 23:26 GMT]

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to number a Word file from the page I need to and not necessary the first one Dec 24, 2010

Dear Sanja,

Thanks so much for your prompt response!

Unfortunately what I can under page numbers is "format page numbers". No "format". And when I open "format page numbers" there is no option "show numbers on first page" to disable. I have Word 2007. Maybe that is the reason.

Thanks for your wishes!

Merry Christmas for you too:-))

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Alejandra Dec 24, 2010

Maybe you will find useful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkK88PRnI_4&feature=related

Please note that there are other demos available in the list to the right.

Natalia

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to number a Word file from the page I need to and not necessary the first one Dec 25, 2010

Dear Natalia and Sanja,

Thanks so much for your help! This is more than enough for me to be able to solve this.

Merry Christmas!

Regards,

Alejandra

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Step by step... Dec 25, 2010

1. Click Page Layout - Margins - Custom margins
2. Clik Layout - Different first page
(While you're at it, check the margins and apply to whole document)

This will create a "first page header/footer" and a "section header/footer" which will allow you to number the page as you wish (look at the video for that part). But the "Section" concept is everything: make sure you have section breaks between chapters or on the page immediately preceeding the page you want to number; if you used page breaks (ctrl-enter) or paragraph marks, it won't work.

To modify a previous header/footer, click the "link to previous" option on the navigation tab offered when you double-click in the header/footer space.

If you maintain your version of Word up to date (using windows live update), you will notice that the tutorials are now better than they used to be. Click on the blue question mark up right of the screen and simply type a key word or question.

I forgot: using "Section break - Continuous" in such a big document (or any document, as far as I am concerned) may have lethal consequences, including but not limited to drowning in your tears and suicide. DO NOT click this button at any cost!

[Edited at 2010-12-25 03:54 GMT]

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
With Germaine Dec 25, 2010

I'm with Germaine, it may still not work unless you insert 'next page' section breaks and undo the 'same as previous' option. I put a section break after every page in all my documents because it also allows you to change the orientation, margins, font etc., just for that particular page.

Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:53
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
Moderation tastes better Dec 25, 2010

Tina Vonhof wrote:
...I put a section break after every page in all my documents because it also allows you to change the orientation, margins, font etc., just for that particular page.

Thank you for specifying "next page" section break. But I would certainly not suggest to insert one after every page of a document since for adding or deleting anything later on, you will have to adjust every page manually. Using the right function at the right place is always time saving.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
You are right Germaine Dec 26, 2010

Germaine, you are right - it is not alway good or necessary to do this. I was thinking of the kinds of documents I frequently translate, diplomas and transcripts and legal documents where each page should have the exact same content as in the original.

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to number a Word file from the page I need to and not necessary the first one Dec 27, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you for all your help!

I was unable to do this. I believe the "section breaks" should have been created before. In this case the doc of 400 pages was already complete so I had to add the number on a certain page. I followed all the suggested steps but did not work.

Thanks!
Happy New Year 2011!

Regards,
Alejandra

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
manual insert? Dec 27, 2010

If you only need to enter a specific number on a selected page, you can always type the desired number in the footer as-is, not as a field code.

Not that I would recommned this utterly non-systemic solution, but there are situations in which nothing else can be done.

Antonin

[Edited at 2010-12-27 13:26 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-27 13:26 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to number a Word file from the page I need to and not necessary the first one

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search