Alejandra Hozikian  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:44
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 28, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

I am working on a big document in Word. There are many footers in the source which should be kept in the translation, however most of them passed to the next page. Is there any way to put them as in the source?

Thanks for any help!

Regards,

Alejandra

Marco Indovino (X)
Marco Indovino (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Insert break Dec 28, 2010

Have you tried inserting either a section or a page break in the footer? HTH,

Marco

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:44
English to French
+ ...
A suggestion Dec 28, 2010

(This is about Word 2007) As I explained it in another post, this requires inserting a "section break - next page" at the end of each "chapter" or "section" of the document and it can be done at any time - it's never to late to do it right! If it doesn't work, it may be because of other codes interfering. Try to locate (and delete) them using the "Show paragraph marks and other hidden blabla..." option on.

Since footers "go on the next page", I assume that you have check the "firs
... See more
(This is about Word 2007) As I explained it in another post, this requires inserting a "section break - next page" at the end of each "chapter" or "section" of the document and it can be done at any time - it's never to late to do it right! If it doesn't work, it may be because of other codes interfering. Try to locate (and delete) them using the "Show paragraph marks and other hidden blabla..." option on.

Since footers "go on the next page", I assume that you have check the "first page different" in the Page Layout options. Now, you have to deal with the "link to previous" option of the header/footer menu. Click on the blue question mark (Word help) located on the upper right side of the screen (this is for Word 2007), type "Inserting footer" (press enter) and choose the "Header and footer for document sections" training. If you're lost, try a more basic one.

If I may suggest, why don't you look for somebody to do the wordprocessing/pagemaking for you? It shouldn't cost you that much and you will be able to spend the time working on another translation or sleeping instead of loosing your mind...
Collapse

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to keep footers in the same page as the original in Word Dec 28, 2010

Dear Marco and Germaine,

Thanks so much for your prompt response!

I will try and if I fail (this is for me , Germaine, the other time you also kindly answered was for my husband's thesis) (my version is Word 2003) I will certainly ask some expert to do this...you are absolutely right, Germaine, however I am trying to learn as much as I can...

Happy New Year 2011!

Regards,

Alejandra

Germaine
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Word 2003 version Dec 28, 2010

Dear Alejandra,
Principles are the same in Word 2003; only the menus are different, so you won't find the same functions at the same place. Use the help to locate the various options.

Having the "show paragraph mark " on, it might help you to begin with the end of the document and go backwards removing any "break section - continuous", "page break", multiple paragraphs marks, etc., all things preventing you to get your footers right.

Unfortunately, I cannot acce
... See more
Dear Alejandra,
Principles are the same in Word 2003; only the menus are different, so you won't find the same functions at the same place. Use the help to locate the various options.

Having the "show paragraph mark " on, it might help you to begin with the end of the document and go backwards removing any "break section - continuous", "page break", multiple paragraphs marks, etc., all things preventing you to get your footers right.

Unfortunately, I cannot access my Word 2003 for the moment (the puter is undergoing its new year clean up) but the tutorials are on line:

Header/Footer basics: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/word-help/header-and-footer-basics-RZ010239449.aspx?CTT=1

Header/footer for document sections: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/training/headers-and-footers-for-document-sections-RZ010239521.aspx?CTT=1

Courage! You'll get it!
Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 13:44
French to English
+ ...
Do you really mean footers? Dec 28, 2010

Or is it footnotes?

Terry.

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to keep footnotes in the same page as the original in Word Dec 28, 2010

Dear Terry,

You are right....I am so tired that I confused myself..I am sorry..

Regards,

Alejandra

Germaine
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Then... Dec 28, 2010

You may activate the footnote "continuation notice", which might allow you (sometimes) to get at least the 1st line (you specify the number of lines) of the footnote on the same page. If this is not acceptable, you'll have to cheat...

One way would be to reduce the font size, the line spacing or the margin so that the translation pages mirror the original pages. You could also reduce the paragraph spacing: instead of inserting a line, format paragraphs with, for example, "After: 10
... See more
You may activate the footnote "continuation notice", which might allow you (sometimes) to get at least the 1st line (you specify the number of lines) of the footnote on the same page. If this is not acceptable, you'll have to cheat...

One way would be to reduce the font size, the line spacing or the margin so that the translation pages mirror the original pages. You could also reduce the paragraph spacing: instead of inserting a line, format paragraphs with, for example, "After: 10 pts" instead of 12. The idea is to get enough room for the note to show up.

You can also reduce the font size of the note itself and make sure there is no paragraph mark at the end.
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Another good trick is character spacing! Dec 28, 2010

If you are using MS Word, then a suboption under Format > Font is Spacing, which allows you to 'squash together' (condense) the letters by an adjustable amount. Sometimes working over the whole of the text on a page, even quite a small amount of condensing can work wonders, without harming legibility too much (if at all).

Another good trick is to 'force' slimmer spaces between words; this is unfortunately tedious if you have to do it manually, but you can, for example, set the space
... See more
If you are using MS Word, then a suboption under Format > Font is Spacing, which allows you to 'squash together' (condense) the letters by an adjustable amount. Sometimes working over the whole of the text on a page, even quite a small amount of condensing can work wonders, without harming legibility too much (if at all).

Another good trick is to 'force' slimmer spaces between words; this is unfortunately tedious if you have to do it manually, but you can, for example, set the space size to 8 pt if you are using a 10pt font, which will close up text nicely. I do this most of the time anyway for the 'non-breaking' spaces between figures and units or between currency symbol and figures; it is typographically more elegant, and it's also surprising just how much space it can save — sometimes, all you need is to save a bit, for one stray word to pop up onto the previous line, and hey presto! you've gained a whole line!

If your client will allow it, and of course if your target language lends itself to it, then a bit of judicious manual hyphenation can also work wonders; again, just getting a couple of words to shift can end up saving you a whole line.

Over the years, I've had to become a past master at this sort of space-fitting fudge, when you are forced to work in a word processing programme and don't have access to 'proper' DTP functions.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great trick! Dec 28, 2010

Thank you, Tony.

Alejandra Hozikian
Argentina
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to keep footers in the same page as the original in Word Dec 29, 2010

Dear Colleagues,

Thank you so much for all your valuable help!

I was able to solve this. I am really grateful to all of you!

I wish you a Happy New Year 2011!

Regards,

Alejandra

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to keep footers in the same page as the original in Word

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »