Thread poster: Aude Sylvain

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:46
English to French
+ ...
Dec 29, 2010

Hello,

I need to apply a "Draft" watermark only on the 2nd half of a Word document.

I tried to put a section break (next page) between both parts and then to use the "watermark" in the relevant part only, but this won't work, the watermark still appears either on each and very page, or on none of them.

Would anyone know whether it is possible to apply a watermark on some pages only?

Many thanks in advance

[Edited at 2010-12-29 09:19 GMT]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 02:46
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My old MS Word 2003 Help Dec 29, 2010

"Watermarks (watermark: Any graphic or text, such as "Confidential," that when printed appears either on top of or behind existing document text.) won't appear on every page if you change your header or footer (header and footer: A header, which can consist of text or graphics, appears at the top of every page in a section. A footer appears at the bottom of every page. Headers and footers often contain page numbers, chapter titles, dates, and author names.) for part of the document. For example, the first page may have a unique header or footer, or none at all.

Or the document may contain different headers and footers on odd and even pages or in particular sections (section: A portion of a document in which you set certain page formatting options. You create a new section when you want to change such properties as line numbering, number of columns, or headers and footers.). You can check whether the document contains sections by reading the status bar at the bottom of your screen.

If you reinsert the watermark again, it should appear on every page of your document."

I understand that when you use Word 2003, you can manipulate watermarks as explain above.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
To save a lot of time... Dec 29, 2010

...and tussling with the crankiness of MS Word — would it be possible for you to simply split the document into 2 separate files, 'Part I' and 'Part II'?

Otherwise, I'm not sure there is, but instead of using the watermark facility, perhaps you could create it as an image and use this under borders and fill? Just a thought....

Ah I think Soonthon has the answer for you:

"Watermarks won't appear on every page if you change your header or footer

So if I understand that correctly, all you need is to disconnect the headers/footers after your inserted section break from the ones before, and that way, you will be able to disconnect the watermarks too; however, watch out, as it looks as if this may work the reverse way round from what you want, so you may have to play around a bit!

[Edited at 2010-12-29 09:16 GMT]

Aude Sylvain  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved, thank you! Dec 29, 2010

Many thanks to both.

Soonthon you are right, the trick is that watermarks are considered as headers by MS Word, even though they are not in the header area.

Tony, yes I thought about splitting the document into 2 documents, or using a background picture, but this was not very practical.

In fact I found the step by step explanation on MS's website: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/brand-a-document-with-a-watermark-or-background-HA010097032.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HA010244694#BM4

I copy it here for colleagues who might have the same need in the future (Word 2007/2010):

Add a watermark only to selected pages

To add a watermark only to selected pages, you must separate the document into sections. For example, if you want to apply a watermark only to the table of contents in a document, you must create three sections: a cover page section, the table of contents section, and the rest of the document text in its own section.

1. In Draft view, replace the page breaks surrounding the pages to which you want to add watermarks with section breaks.

On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click Breaks, and then click Next Page under Section Breaks.

Note When you insert a cover page in a document, it has a separate header so that you don't need to create a separate section for it if you're creating sections to add a watermark only to selected pages.

2. Switch to Print Layout view.
3. Double-click the document header area on the page where you want the watermark to appear. This opens the header.

Microsoft Office Word places watermarks in the header even though they don't appear in the header.

4. Under Header & Footer Tools, on the Design tab, in the Navigation group, click Link to Previous so that the headers are no longer linked.

5. Double-click the document header area on the first page where you don't want the watermark to appear — for example, the first page of document text — and then repeat step 4.
6. Click the page where you want the watermark to appear.
7. On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Background group, click Watermark and select the watermark that you want.

Have a nice day!

[Edited at 2010-12-29 09:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word - applying a watermark only on some pages of a document [resolved]

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search