Word count discrepancy - PowerPoint 2003 vs 2010
Thread poster: Comunican

Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
Catalan to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2011

Having recently bought Microsoft Office 2010, I've encountered a word count discrepancy between PowerPoint 2003 and PowerPoint 2010.

In the 2003 version, the word count for a document is 2981, but for the 2010 version it is 3295 words.
I tried loading it in Wordfast Pro and the count was 2965.
Does anyone know why this is and what I should do please?
Many thanks

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 13:28
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
word count discrepancy Jan 24, 2011

I'm not sure about Powerpoint 2010 since I use MS Office Pro 2007. However, there are similar discrepancies between word counts of different versions of MS Word and Trados / Wordfast word counts.

Personally, I use Anycount which provides a word count, which is independent of the application being used. Unfortunately - although the evaluation version of Anycount worked without problems, I have a problem with the paid version (after the 30 days trial version time expired, which means I have to delete the product key from the registry (and input again when starting it) before I am able to start Anycount. Aside from this anomaly, the program works fine and so far I have not encountered a translation bureau which has not accepted the Anycount word count.

Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating,
Roskilde, Denmark

Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:28
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip, Michael Jan 24, 2011

I'll look into that.
Regards

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
different definitions of word Jan 25, 2011

Hello,
Some major general sources of differences in word counts are counting words with hyphens or apostrophes as one or two words, counting or not counting numbers, or settings that exclude parts of the text (for instance, not selecting the inclusion of footnotes in MS Word). I think there is a pretty good explanation of the definition of a Wordfast-word in the user manual. The easiest thing with MS applications may just be to experiment with these issues and figure out the rules.

I do not think that there is an established standard for counting words: CAT counts are probably what most agencies will expect and Application counts will certainly make the most sense to most direct clients. However, the fact that different versions of Powerpoint deliver very different word counts is a real hindrance to dealing transparently with direct clients. Michael's suggestion of the "neutral" Anycount app may be the most convincing solution in this case, because it is mutually accessible.

Sincerely,
yet another Michael

Deborah Greenberg  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
I have the same problem--any resolution within Powerpoint? Nov 4, 2011

Checking on Google for information I found this thread in the forum--has anyone found a way to "fix" this in Powerpoint 2010? The slides I have manually counted coincide with the ppt 2007 version, and not with the 2010 version, which somehow increases the word count considerably.

I'd love to hear it if anyone knows a fix for this that doesn't mean using other applications. Or, if that's not possible, I'd be glad to hear more word-count app recommendations.

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count discrepancy - PowerPoint 2003 vs 2010

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search