Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:02
French to German
+ ...
Hence... Mar 15, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

But if your client delivers a job to you as an MSOffice file, you have to deliver the job back to them in the same format.

Hence the very convenient conversion roundtrip Word > Writer > Word when using OpenOffice instead of "pure MS Word".

Just as an aside, the most file corruptions I have seen occurred when I used the .docx format of Word:mac 2008 directly (ETA: .docx is also full of tags which make translation complicated).

[Edited at 2011-03-15 13:45 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
OpenOffice Mar 15, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

But if your client delivers a job to you as an MSOffice file, you have to deliver the job back to them in the same format.

Hence the very convenient conversion roundtrip Word > Writer > Word when using OpenOffice instead of "pure MS Word".

Just as an aside, the most file corruptions I have seen occurred when I used the .docx format of Word:mac 2008 directly (ETA: .docx is also full of tags which make translation complicated).

I've been wondering about OpenOffice. Is it really compatible with MS Office, including tables, charts, figures, etc?

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
OpenOffice: mostly compatible, I would say. Mar 15, 2011

Tom in London wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I've been wondering about OpenOffice. Is it really compatible with MS Office, including tables, charts, figures, etc?

Mostly compatible, I would say, at least when working in the context I work with it, namely the MSO (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) > OO.org (Writer/Calc/Impress) > MSO conversion, which leaves no major errors in the final file (if at all). Charts may be somewhat tricky though.

My intention, when buying Office:mac 2008, was to ensure beyond the shadow of a doubt that the delivered files would match the original layout whenever possible.

As an addendum, I have also tried a derivative from OO.org, namely NeoOffice. I wasn't satisfied with it mainly because it was conceived "the Microsoft/Trados way", meaning e.g. with lots of patches and some glitches (like saving files under names I hadn't typed or overriding OO.org when I opened files).

Note: version 3.3.0 takes some 415 MB on your hard drive.

[Edited at 2011-03-15 17:07 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Open Office compatibility issues Mar 15, 2011

Let me start out by saying that I am a great supporter of the principle of OpenOffice!

However, in my professional work, I find I simply cannot take the risk; in almost every case where I've tried to work within Open Office, I've had some kind of compatibility or corruption problems, clients unable to open output files, etc. etc.

In one case, a heavily-formatted document (someone trying to use MS Word for DTP!) was completely screwed up simply by having opened it in OO,
... See more
Let me start out by saying that I am a great supporter of the principle of OpenOffice!

However, in my professional work, I find I simply cannot take the risk; in almost every case where I've tried to work within Open Office, I've had some kind of compatibility or corruption problems, clients unable to open output files, etc. etc.

In one case, a heavily-formatted document (someone trying to use MS Word for DTP!) was completely screwed up simply by having opened it in OO, and I had to waste over 3 hours putting it right (on a 3/4 hours translation job!)

Might I respectfully suggest, however, that we are drifting off topic here, and I believe there is also at least one forum thread already devoted to this particular subject, perhaps we ought to all decamp over there... ?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Decamp Mar 15, 2011

Tony M wrote:

In one case, a heavily-formatted document (someone trying to use MS Word for DTP!) was completely screwed up simply by having opened it in OO, and I had to waste over 3 hours putting it right (on a 3/4 hours translation job!)

Might I respectfully suggest, however, that we are drifting off topic here, and I believe there is also at least one forum thread already devoted to this particular subject, perhaps we ought to all decamp over there... ?

Yes, I've just tried opening a few of the typical sort of files I work on, with OpenOffice and they don't display correctly.

So Tony-

If there's an Office for Mac 2011 discussion forum- I'd be grateful if you could point me to it. If there isn't, can we create one?

[Edited at 2011-03-15 17:33 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
This forum, maybe? Mar 15, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems-68.html

My question: is this forum strictly meant to discuss the diverse Mac operating systems or can we talk about software for the Mac platform too?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Decamp (2) Mar 15, 2011

I was really referring specifically to the issues of OpenOffiice compatibility with MS Office files — and I believe there is already a thread around for this...

Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
Joanna Wachowiak-Finlaison
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Parallels... Mar 15, 2011

I've had way too many issues with Word:mac 2004 so I gave up and submitted part of my lovely mac machine to the Windows contamination... I do still prefer to use Pages if I have a choice and there are no layout issues.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Only MS Office Mar 15, 2011

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:

http://www.proz.com/forum/apple_mac_operating_systems-68.html

My question: is this forum strictly meant to discuss the diverse Mac operating systems or can we talk about software for the Mac platform too?

I only opened this thread to discuss MS Office for Mac 2011.

Hopefully that's what we can focus on, if the thread keeps going.

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:02
English to French
Office 2011 is buggy Mar 15, 2011

I bought Office 2011 when it came out. Out of the box, Word was crashing constantly : when including bullet lists, when copy-pasting, when doing any little thing except typing letters!

I went into the library folder and deleted all the preference files. The copy-paste and bullet crashes are gone, but if I try to insert a photo with the photo browser or insert a symbol with the symbol browser it crashes (same thing in powerpoint!). However, inserting with the "from file" command is f
... See more
I bought Office 2011 when it came out. Out of the box, Word was crashing constantly : when including bullet lists, when copy-pasting, when doing any little thing except typing letters!

I went into the library folder and deleted all the preference files. The copy-paste and bullet crashes are gone, but if I try to insert a photo with the photo browser or insert a symbol with the symbol browser it crashes (same thing in powerpoint!). However, inserting with the "from file" command is fine.

You have to save (or auto save) the file every time you attempt to do something a little special otherwise... who knows?

If you can, delay this purchase...

Julie
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
France
French to German
+ ...
Apple Store reviews Mar 16, 2011

In the Apple Store reviews, both versions of the package (Home & Student / Home & Business) are rated with 2.5 stars out of 5.

See:
- http://tinyurl.com/29vjkb9 (Home & Student version)
- http://tinyurl.com/5t95q8q (Home & Business version)

for details.

Tomoyuki Kono
Tomoyuki Kono  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Word for Mac (ver. 14.1.0) is also buggy Apr 19, 2011

I know the thread is over a month old now but just wanted to warn people that the new update may not necessarily solve the problems you have been facing. I just installed the first 'Critical Update' to Word for Mac 2011 (version 14.1.0, build 110310) and discovered to my horror that Japanese character conversion has been completely messed up. I'm running OS 10.5.8 but it's happening to Snow Leopard users too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were other fresh language/font issues with this... See more
I know the thread is over a month old now but just wanted to warn people that the new update may not necessarily solve the problems you have been facing. I just installed the first 'Critical Update' to Word for Mac 2011 (version 14.1.0, build 110310) and discovered to my horror that Japanese character conversion has been completely messed up. I'm running OS 10.5.8 but it's happening to Snow Leopard users too. I wouldn't be surprised at all if there were other fresh language/font issues with this update.

With each upgrade and update I discover something new has been broken by Microsoft….
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and... Apr 19, 2011

...there's no way of knowing whether the nightmare I reported in my original post may happen again at some unpredictable time.

And the "Find/Replace" function is far worse now than it was in Word 2004 (which I am still using for as long as the MacOS continues to run it). In Word 2011 when you hit CMD + F to find/replace a word, a nasty sidebar opens, simultaneusly reducing the size of your open document window, inviting you to find/replace the word in the sidebar. Except that half t
... See more
...there's no way of knowing whether the nightmare I reported in my original post may happen again at some unpredictable time.

And the "Find/Replace" function is far worse now than it was in Word 2004 (which I am still using for as long as the MacOS continues to run it). In Word 2011 when you hit CMD + F to find/replace a word, a nasty sidebar opens, simultaneusly reducing the size of your open document window, inviting you to find/replace the word in the sidebar. Except that half the time it doesn't work. And it's verging on intolerable to have your carefully-positioned document window suddenly reduced in size - especially if you happen to be working on a small screen, e.g. a laptop.

There *is* still a floating window similar to the old "Find/Replace" but you have to specially open it from the sidebar. And perhaps worst of all, the "Replace in all open documents" has completely gone!

I often wonder what kind of user the people who (re)write these applications have in mind. It certainly isn't translators.

[Edited at 2011-04-19 15:45 GMT]
Collapse

Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
No kind whatsoever Apr 19, 2011

Tom in London wrote:
I often wonder what kind of user the people who (re)write these applications have in mind. It certainly isn't translators.

They don't think of any kind of user at all. If they did, they'd try to find out what (if any) changes users would like. It seems all certain software companies think about is coming out with something new so that they can discontinue supporting the old version and force customers to buy the one that's "new and improved"...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An urgent warning about Word for Mac 2011

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »