Replacing a word list in more Excel files
Thread poster: Pablo Bouvier

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:36
German to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2011

Someone knows a utility that allows to change a word list at once in multiple Excel files?
I know the macro Funduc Search & Replace for Excel ( http://www.funduc.com/excel_sr.htm ), but what I need is to change several words at once and not one at a time in multiple files. Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2011-03-02 17:11 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

claude
Thailand
English to French
Try Wordpipe Lite Mar 2, 2011

Multiple search/replace on multiple files tools are rather limited. I had to buy Wordpipe Lite but I think there is a (limited) demo version. I did not try it on Excel files but it works perfectly on word and rtf files. You should find the website easily.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
txt Mar 2, 2011

If you want to do it in excel, you'll have to find or write a macro. If you can copy-paste your xls to a txt file and back (i.e. doing the replacement in a txt is enough for you), I can whip up a perl script for the job in 5 minutes.

TargamaT  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 07:36
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Grep tools in multiple search/replace Mar 3, 2011

Hi Pablo,

Try grep tools, they are perfectly adapted to such demand, cf. for ex. :

http://www.powergrep.com/

Rgds

Oussama

[Edited at 2011-03-03 10:39 GMT]

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replacing a word list in more Excel files Mar 3, 2011

FarkasAndras wrote:

If you want to do it in excel, you'll have to find or write a macro. If you can copy-paste your xls to a txt file and back (i.e. doing the replacement in a txt is enough for you), I can whip up a perl script for the job in 5 minutes.

Hi, Farkas: Thanks a lot for your offer. I will try to write an excel macro during the weekend myself. Improving my VB is one of my New Year's 2011 pending resolutions.

In the meantime, I have found this http://miraxem.com/rqsr.htm (isn't for Excel, but for html & Word files), but I haven't tried it yet. I will try to export the excel files to an html format. It seems you are right that any solution of this type (except VBA macros) goes trough the text format. If on next Monday, I havent solved it yet, I will gladly accept your offer.

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

TargamaT wrote:

Hi Pablo,

Try grep tools, they are perfectly adapted to such demand, cf. for ex. :

http://www.powergrep.com/

Rgds

Oussama

[Edited at 2011-03-03 10:39 GMT]

Hi Oussma:

Thanks a lot for your tip.
Have a nice week!

bests

PB

German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER

claude wrote:

Multiple search/replace on multiple files tools are rather limited. I had to buy Wordpipe Lite but I think there is a (limited) demo version. I did not try it on Excel files but it works perfectly on word and rtf files. You should find the website easily.

Many thanks Claude. Will search the website and try the demo. Just curious that such tools are rather limited. I don't believe, I am the first translator that need them... .

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Trados Mar 3, 2011

This is a bit unconventional and not tested, but should work. If you have Trados with Tag Editor, you could convert all the XLS files to TTX, use Glue to join them, open the glued file, unprotect the document, make the replacements (unfortunately, you'll have to run the replacement for each pair separately), split the files in Glue and save them back as XLS.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Replacing a word list in more Excel files

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search