Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

I currently translate a ppt file from English to German. As the slides are mostly packed full of text there is no chance the German text could fit into the frames.
The customer told me nothing about adjusting, but what if they insist (or kindly wish). I have almost no experience with ppt in practice. I can change the font in selections, but is there a way of globally changing all text let's say 2 points smaller, from 12 to 10. 18 to 16 etc.? There are dozens of slides in my file.
Thanks for advice!

Tony M
France
Local time: 13:13
French to English
+ ...
Just one idea... Mar 29, 2011

When I've experienced similar fitting problems, rather than reduce the actual font size (which may be indavisable, depending on just how this PPT is likely to be viewed), I've often been able to use the same point size, but in a condensed version of the same font (e.g. Ariel Narrow, instead of normal Ariel)

Terry Richards has a very handy little macro for changing the language globally in PPT, I don't know if it could be adapted for this purpose? But in any case, it will probably be quite difficult, as I imagine your source text will use different sizes, and you won't want to change them all to the same size.

Just one other thought: have you tried using Werecat to export all the text to a Word document, in which you could then play around with the attributes to your heart's content before re-importing it back again (with/without translation!) As far as I can remember, Werecat does export the attributes with the text and pops them back in again nicely at the end.

PS: watch out in case PPT has got that infernal 'automatic font sizing' "feature" (!) turned on!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:13
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Global font change Mar 29, 2011

In new PowerPoint versions, one click of global font change is possible. In PPT menu > Format > Change font [and font size]. I hope a similar menu item is in your MS PowerPoint German version (?).

If you use Trados or other CAT tools, you can use Font Map function of CAT to do global font change. For EN>TH PPT file translation, I selectively adjust font size/font name to many text boxes and also press F4 key of PC to apply changes to many text boxes quickly.

MS PowerPoint shortcuts will help you a lot with formatting.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Tony M
France
Local time: 13:13
French to English
+ ...
That's interesting, Soonthon! Mar 29, 2011

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.) wrote:

In new PowerPoint versions, one click of global font change is possible.

I wonder, does that change font attributes in text boxes too? That's the biggest problem I've encountered with the old PPT (i.e. Office XP) — lots of the things you can set globally only apply to body text, but don't affect text in boxesicon_frown.gif

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arial Narrow Mar 29, 2011

Changing from normal to narrow works for some slides, but some are already narrow. And all main text is in text boxes.

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Werecat worked fine Mar 30, 2011

After translation and creating the file I exported the stuff to Word using red Werecat and was able to adjust the text very easily. At the same time I noticed some mistakes and corrected them. Then back into ppt.
Thanks for the hint!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Powerpoint, Global Font Change

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search