Netherlands
Local time: 02:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 29, 2011

G'day everyone

I'm using MS Word 2003.

I have to proofread two files against each other, file A and file B. File A is in the source language and has changes applied in tracked changes. File B is in the target language and also contains tracked changes, done by a different person. I need to make further changes to file B based on the content of file A.

It is therefore very important that the changes in file A are highly visible, and that means that they s
... See more
G'day everyone

I'm using MS Word 2003.

I have to proofread two files against each other, file A and file B. File A is in the source language and has changes applied in tracked changes. File B is in the target language and also contains tracked changes, done by a different person. I need to make further changes to file B based on the content of file A.

It is therefore very important that the changes in file A are highly visible, and that means that they should be in red. The other colours don't matter, except that there should be three different colours while both the two documents are open, while I work on file B. Does anyone know how I can ensure that the changes in file A show up as red?

Alternatively, how can I make all changes in a file show up as yellow highlighted (so that they are more visible)?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Track changes Mar 29, 2011

Do you know that you can set up the appearance of tracked changes according to your own particular requirements? [Tools > Options > Track Changes].

Regards,

Michael J.H. Davies,
MJD Translating,
Denmark

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Michael, and solved (partially) Mar 29, 2011

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:
Do you know that you can set up the appearance of tracked changes according to your own particular requirements? [Tools > Options > Track Changes].

Yes, but that menu only gives the option to toggle between author-based formatting and colour based formatting. I can select "red", but then all changes for all authors will be red. This is not useful to me because I need to see the difference between my own edits and the edits of the previous person(s).

In the end I solved it by closing all files and opening them in the right order. Red is assigned first, so file A got red as a colour. File B unfortunately had navy green and teal as its colours, which were a bit difficult to tell apart, but I was able to tell them apart at least.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change Track Changes colours in Word 2003

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »