Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 7, 2011

G'day everyone

Last week a client sent me an Excel file with hidden rows that I was able to unhide. This week the client sent another Excel file with hidden rows, but I can't remember how I unhid the rows last week. I don't need to re-hide the rows later -- I just need to unhide it so that when I copy a column it copies all cells (including hidden ones). I've tried Ctrl+Shift+9, with no luck. I can't individually select rows because there are hundreds of hidden rows all over the place.

I also checked the file the client sent last week -- Ctrl+Shift+9 doesn't work there either, but I know that I was able to unhide the rows. I just can't remember how I did it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Samuel

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Did you select... Apr 7, 2011

the table before pressing Ctrl+Shift+9?

Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
It's easy :) Apr 7, 2011

- Click the top left corner to select all cells

- Format ! Columns ! Unhide
and/or
- Format ! Rows ! Unhide

Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:38
Romanian to English
+ ...
Select all, then Unhide? Apr 7, 2011

I don't have Office 2003 on my computer right now, but I think I used to unhide everything by selecting everything followed by right-click and Unhide.

HTH

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Apr 7, 2011

István Hirsch wrote:
...the table before pressing Ctrl+Shift+9?

Yes. I can see from the row numbers that there are hidden rows, and if I copy a column and paste it elsewhere, some of the copied cells go missing (this typically happens because those cells get pasted in the hidden rows).

It took me very little googling last week to figure it out, but this week I can't figure out how to do it.

The weird thing is that when I hide further rows in that Excel file, I can't unhide those either.

István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Filter? Apr 7, 2011

Is there a blue down arrow in the first line of the table?
If so, click on it and select All from the drop-down menu.

Oleksandr Ivanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:38
Member (2008)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Well Apr 7, 2011

You can select the rows just before and after the hidden rows to be unhidden with your mouse. Then, right click it and choose Unhide. It still works for me in Excel 2003.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes... Apr 7, 2011

Oleksandr Ivanov wrote:
You can select the rows just before and after the hidden rows to be unhidden with your mouse. Then, right click it and choose Unhide. It still works for me in Excel 2003.

Yes, all of these things work on a new spreadsheet, but not in the client's. Anyway, I'll just write it off to a very weird file.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
OO? Apr 7, 2011

Have you tried to open it in OpenOffice and see what happens?

Antonin

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Annamaria's suggestion should do the trick. Apr 8, 2011

Annamaria Amik wrote:

I don't have Office 2003 on my computer right now, but I think I used to unhide everything by selecting everything followed by right-click and Unhide.

HTH

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Is the spreadsheet protected (maybe with a password?) Apr 8, 2011

Samuel Murray wrote:

Oleksandr Ivanov wrote:

Yes, all of these things work on a new spreadsheet, but not in the client's. Anyway, I'll just write it off to a very weird file.

If the spreadsheet has been locked, then you won't be able to unhide rows or columns until it is unlocked.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unhide hidden rows in Excel 2003

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search