Portuguese to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2011

All, yesterday I tried importing a client's excel file into TagEditor. I got:

Error 80005
Connection with server application error
The server threw an exception. Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010105
(RPC_E_SERVERFAULT)

At first I thought the file was corrupted, but it wasn't. Then I thought maybe there was a problem with TagEditor but I can import Word files perfectly ok into it. The client sent me a TTX conversion of the xls file which worked perfectly.

I've found that Excel crashes when I make a change to an xls file and I try to close the file. Instead of Excel asking me if I want to exit and save the changes or not save them, it just crashes and reboots. Then when Excel reboots and I try closing it, it crashes again. I haven't changed or tinkered with a single thing. I uninstalled MicroSoft Office and reinstalled it but it's made no difference. Maybe some very recent MicroSoft updates have caused the problem. Has anyone ever experienced such similar problems with Excel?

Thanks, Chris.

Direct link Reply with quote

Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:56
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Restoring machine Apr 19, 2011

I have now rectified the problem by taking the perhaps somewhat drastic and cumbersome step of restoring my machine back to factory condition.

I read an interesting techies forum thread last Friday (which I now cannot find!) about Excel 2007 crashing due to too many temp files being saved by some process or other on the machine. If I recall, the gist of the thread was that these temp files should be deleted (in MS-DOS, not in Windows) but with certain caveats and precautions.

I was a little edgy and didn't want to compromise the operability of my machine. It then occurred to me that a full restore might solve the problem (albeit perhaps a rather clunky workaround). It did. This was how I personally overcame the issue.....whether others who have the same problem might choose to follow suit.......is another matter. Good luck with it. Best, Chris.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel 2007 crashing

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 for €415/$495 with free eLearning
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 For this month only – receive SDL Trados Studio 2017 - Getting Started eLearning for FREE.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search