Thread poster: Gianluigi Desogus, PhD

Gianluigi Desogus, PhD  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 01:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 21, 2011

Hello,

a few months ago I installed SDL Trados Studio 2009 on a laptop running Windows 7 with 6 GB of RAM.
Since the installation, Word 2003 has been very slow to start and shut down, to the point that it takes up to 10 seconds (or more) to open up and close down the software. Also, even when Word 2003 is already running it takes quite a long time to open a new Word document.
I have Word 2003 installed on another laptop running Windows XP (and with much less RAM, about 1,5 GB); on this second laptop I do not have Studio installed and Word 2003 works perfectly fine and fast.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? My hunch is that it's a Studio-related issue and not an operating system one but I'm not sure what to do to fix it.

Thanks everyone for any input!

Gianluigi

Direct link Reply with quote

amurati
Local time: 03:47
English to Albanian
+ ...
I don't have office 2003 installed in my laptop Apr 21, 2011

but as far as I know the SDL Trados installs some third party applications into Office package so you can interoperate eg. from Word.

There might be other factors too that slow down the the operating mode of an application.

Probably in this laptop you have multicore CPU and older softwares are not capable of running on a multicore environment, so when you use the Word 2003 in one old computer with Pentium 4 processor and in newer ones Core i5 you can't find difference.

Maybe you should do a Setup Repair of the Word to see what is now functioning properly.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:47
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no connection between Studio and Word 2003 Apr 21, 2011

Only if you installed Trados 2007 or earlier, there will be a macro in Word for it.
Otherwise check your Word settings, as Word and Studio are not connected.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 extremely slow after installing Studio 2009

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search