Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
.pdf file conversion to .doc(x)
Thread poster: xxxSantiFacchin

xxxSantiFacchin
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
May 12, 2011

Hello and thanks for your time! During the last few days I've been trying to convert a .pdf file to .docx (or .doc) using some of the converters you can find on the net but the results I got weren't "handy" (missing or overlapped lines, etc.). Am I supposed to extract first the main text and then insert the pictures and tables once I translated it, or should I be able to work with Trados and Word directly so in the end I won't need to do the formatting? By the way, I'm using SDL Trados 2007 9.0 and Office 2010. The converter I've been working with is SolidConverterPDF. Thanks in advance!

 

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:27
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
PDF to DOC(X) conversion May 12, 2011

I use the following alternative tools to convert PDF doc's. to DOC format:
- Free PDF to Word DOC converter (http://www.hellopdf.com/);
- Wordfast Anywhere (http://anywhere.wordfast.com/) - free to use.

If you are still having problems, you could try one (or both) of these possibilities.

Kind regards,

Michael J.H. Davies
MJD Translating


 

xxxSantiFacchin
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I tried the first one... May 12, 2011

Thank you Michael for your support, I have tried the first one and it works perfectly fine. I'm still having some minor formatting issues, not because of the conversion software but the .pdf file. This is it:

http://www.bmj.com/content/342/bmj.d682.full.pdf

As you can see, there are tables and graphics which won't keep the original format after conversion. Nevertheless, I can manage with it.

Best regards,

Santiago.


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
infix? May 13, 2011

I had a look at your file and it seems to be suitable the "infix workflow": convert to xml in Infix, translate the xmle, and finally re-create the pdf from xml.

Antonin


 

Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
Another one May 13, 2011

OCR Terminal works over the web and it's free for 20 pages per month. It's Abbyy-based, so it's good:

https://www.ocrterminal.com

It converts imaged-text (i.e., pictures of text, much like a fax) into regular text via OCR.

If your PDFs contain accessible text (which you can copy through the clipboard), the following FREE service does an excelent job with tables, even preserving shaded backgrounds and seldom miscombining cells:

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/198871-what_is_in_your_experience_the_best_ocr_software_nowadays.html

http://www.pdftoword.com

[Edited at 2011-05-13 08:29 GMT]


 

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:27
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere - PDF conversion May 13, 2011

Hola Santiago,

He trasvasado tu documento antes de cargarlo en Wordfast Anywhere y convertirlo en RTF que he cargado al URL siguiente de donde puedes trasvasarlo: http://projekt.mjd-translate.dk/Test-PDF/ .

El documento RTF puedes convertir en -DOC o -DOCX con ayuda de WORD. Se puede que debes editarlo después para arreglarlo en final. Me parece que las tablas son correctamente convertidas.


¡Buena suerte!

Cordialmente,

Michael


[Edited at 2011-05-13 09:59 GMT]


 

xxxSantiFacchin
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
OCR Terminal May 13, 2011

Daniel Grau wrote:

OCR Terminal works over the web and it's free for 20 pages per month. It's Abbyy-based, so it's good:

https://www.ocrterminal.com

It converts imaged-text (i.e., pictures of text, much like a fax) into regular text via OCR.

If your PDFs contain accessible text (which you can copy through the clipboard), the following FREE service does an excelent job with tables, even preserving shaded backgrounds and seldom miscombining cells:

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/198871-what_is_in_your_experience_the_best_ocr_software_nowadays.html

http://www.pdftoword.com

[Edited at 2011-05-13 08:29 GMT]


Thank you Daniel, I'll give it a try this weekend and post the results.


 

xxxSantiFacchin
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
3.0? May 13, 2011

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I had a look at your file and it seems to be suitable the "infix workflow": convert to xml in Infix, translate the xmle, and finally re-create the pdf from xml.

Antonin


I got Infix 3.0. Is it the latest version? Anyway, I might not have time today as I'm working on something else but tomorrow I'll be working on it. Thank you.

Best regards.


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Infix version May 14, 2011



I got Infix 3.0. Is it the latest version?

Best regards.


Mine is 4.30

Antonin


 

Michael J.H. Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:27
Member (2009)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you try this, Santiago? May 16, 2011

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

Hola Santiago,

He trasvasado tu documento antes de cargarlo en Wordfast Anywhere y convertirlo en RTF que he cargado al URL siguiente de donde puedes trasvasarlo: http://projekt.mjd-translate.dk/Test-PDF/ .

El documento RTF puedes convertir en -DOC o -DOCX con ayuda de WORD. Se puede que debes editarlo después para arreglarlo en final. Me parece que las tablas son correctamente convertidas.


¡Buena suerte!

Cordialmente,

Michael


[Edited at 2011-05-13 09:59 GMT]


 

Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:27
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Antoní­n May 16, 2011

Hello Antoní­n,

Just out of curiosity, do you use memoQ?

I am trying to figure out how to create an XML definition file (DTD) so as to import the XML files created by Infix from a PDF into memoQ optimally for translation.

Michael


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:27
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
memoQ May 16, 2011

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you use memoQ?

Michael


I do own it, but my my first-choice tool is Transit.

Antonin


 

xxxSantiFacchin
Local time: 17:27
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I did! May 16, 2011

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

Hola Santiago,

He trasvasado tu documento antes de cargarlo en Wordfast Anywhere y convertirlo en RTF que he cargado al URL siguiente de donde puedes trasvasarlo: http://projekt.mjd-translate.dk/Test-PDF/ .

El documento RTF puedes convertir en -DOC o -DOCX con ayuda de WORD. Se puede que debes editarlo después para arreglarlo en final. Me parece que las tablas son correctamente convertidas.


¡Buena suerte!

Cordialmente,

Michael


[Edited at 2011-05-13 09:59 GMT]


Hello Michael, I created a text only MS Word file (no tables, no special formatting) as I only need to translate the main text. Of course then I'll add the tables, change the fonts and layout, etc..

All of you helped me a lot, I really appreciate it. I'm a student and so far I haven't learned how to use all the resources and tools available. It is sites like this that enable us to get in touch with talented translators all over the world.


 
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
pdf file conversion to .doc(x) Oct 28, 2011

Hi, my friend, i have read some article about pdf to word converter, you can have a try.
It can
* Convert PDF to Word
* Choose whichever pages to be converted
* Convert any PDF document into MS Word document format (RTF or Word)
Besides what mentioned above, a quick Google search turns up the following:how to converting PDF files to Word.
Hope it can do you a favor.


 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

.pdf file conversion to .doc(x)

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search