Looking for idiots guide to bookmarks in Word!
Thread poster: Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:36
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2004

Hi,

I translated a large document containing references (presumably bookmarks) to graphics as well as a TOC.

When I used Trados, I showed all the field codes and the TOC seems to be fine. I've updated all the fields in the document, and this has at least updated some of the fields.

I now need to create links to the graphics in this document. The graphics themselves have retained their fields (so you have a picture, and then the caption Graphic 1.1). I need
... See more
Hi,

I translated a large document containing references (presumably bookmarks) to graphics as well as a TOC.

When I used Trados, I showed all the field codes and the TOC seems to be fine. I've updated all the fields in the document, and this has at least updated some of the fields.

I now need to create links to the graphics in this document. The graphics themselves have retained their fields (so you have a picture, and then the caption Graphic 1.1). I need to create a link to Graphic 1.1 in the main body of my text, but don't have a clue how to do this - can anyone help?

Thanks,

Joanne
Collapse

Dorothee Racette (X)
Dorothee Racette (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:36
German to English
+ ...
Word menu Insert> Cross-reference Mar 30, 2004

Hi Joanne,

look in Word under the Insert menu and choose "Cross-reference." There are a variety of options for the type of cross-reference you want to create, and graphics is one of them. This works most of the time to repair missing references that have become scrambled after working with Trados. I hope this will at least point you in the right direction!

Best regards

Dorothee

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are you using the Trados Bookmark Handler? Mar 30, 2004

Before translating bookmarked documents with Trados, you need to protect the bookmarks by executing the Trados Bookmark Handler. Here is the explanation for it:

"This macro is necessary since Translator's Workbench moves bookmarks to the end of the paragraph when opening segments with Open/Get. Cross-references based on bookmarks will contain the whole paragraph text instead of the bookmark text.
Since Translator's Workbench also makes use of bookmarks, the attached macros wer
... See more
Before translating bookmarked documents with Trados, you need to protect the bookmarks by executing the Trados Bookmark Handler. Here is the explanation for it:

"This macro is necessary since Translator's Workbench moves bookmarks to the end of the paragraph when opening segments with Open/Get. Cross-references based on bookmarks will contain the whole paragraph text instead of the bookmark text.
Since Translator's Workbench also makes use of bookmarks, the attached macros were developed to circumvent the behaviour described above."

Regards,
Ricardo
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for idiots guide to bookmarks in Word!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »