Compaq 610 doesn't handle autotext (in Words 2003 and 2010)
Thread poster: IanDhu

IanDhu  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:20
Member (2005)
French to English
May 17, 2011

Hullo,

I have recently acquired a notebook as above-stated, and I have tried to record macros and autoext in Office 2010 Word. The autotext works for the current session, then some of the entries are remembered in later sessions, and others not. I've tried normal dotx and other gallery possibilities, with equal unsuccess.

I haven't fully explored macros, but the software doesn't remember the ones I have tried recording.

The autotext malfunction is a severe
... See more
Hullo,

I have recently acquired a notebook as above-stated, and I have tried to record macros and autoext in Office 2010 Word. The autotext works for the current session, then some of the entries are remembered in later sessions, and others not. I've tried normal dotx and other gallery possibilities, with equal unsuccess.

I haven't fully explored macros, but the software doesn't remember the ones I have tried recording.

The autotext malfunction is a severe hindrance, since for one client, I have to take to dictation longhand. The problem appears to be device-dependent, i.e. specific to Compaq-HP or the particular model, since I found the same problem with Office 2003 Word.

I'd appreciate any help members can give in getting macros and autotext to both "stick" and "fire".

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

Provide more details May 17, 2011

on how you add your autotext entries. If you want your autotext to be available at all times, you need to choose Normal.dotm in the Create New Building Block dialog. Please see these links:

Add Autotext[^]

See more
on how you add your autotext entries. If you want your autotext to be available at all times, you need to choose Normal.dotm in the Create New Building Block dialog. Please see these links:

Add Autotext[^]

Create and distribute boilerplate text[^]
Collapse

France
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply May 18, 2011

Thank you, Dear Colleague,

I shall follow the suggestions in the links and see what results I get.

I appreciate your promptness in responding.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren,
IanDhu - 41189

France
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
A link for AutoText in Word 2010 May 18, 2011

Hullo,

After a lot of digging around, I have found the following link for AutoText in Word 2010:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/add-autotext-in-word-HA101827969.aspx

I hope this will help others.

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu 41189)

France
Member (2005)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Autotext works for a session, but nothing is written to Normal.dotm May 26, 2011

I did as Uros C indly instructed, unfortunately to no effect.

However, I've traced the problem to the fact that the normal.dotm template has remained unchanged since I first got the system up this year, with a date-time stamp somewhere in 2006!

I should state that the hardware is a Compaq 610, the system software is Windows 7, and I have tried standard-issue MS-Office Word 2003 and 2010, both of which display this baffling uncooperativeness.

Can anybody ple
... See more
I did as Uros C indly instructed, unfortunately to no effect.

However, I've traced the problem to the fact that the normal.dotm template has remained unchanged since I first got the system up this year, with a date-time stamp somewhere in 2006!

I should state that the hardware is a Compaq 610, the system software is Windows 7, and I have tried standard-issue MS-Office Word 2003 and 2010, both of which display this baffling uncooperativeness.

Can anybody please help me cure the software of this propensity?

With kind regards,

Adam Warren
(IanDhu - 41189)
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compaq 610 doesn't handle autotext (in Words 2003 and 2010)

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search